Headspace Picture- thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
I feel like the volume in my DemJ has contracted somewhat given how cold its been recently. Just wondering if anyone thinks the amount of headspace in the attached picture is worth worrying about?

Attachments

• Headroom Demij.jpg
    Headroom Demij.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 72
It is still within the neck - so no additional contact has been made to air.

It will also overflow, like stated above, once it warms up

If it were mine I would not think it worth worrying about. Simply continue to check it every now and then.

I'd go with anywhere in the neck above where it's continuing to narrow significantly. Once you are above that and within an inch or two of the top, I'd call it good.
Now with a wine that's fresh out of fermentation - unless it's dead on .990, you could always have a little bubbling occur OR gassing off due to temp and pressure changes. That's when that headspace saves the day.

I bought this product to use for when I a little bit more headspace but didn’t feel like pulling a vacuum. Just a quick and easy bottle of inert gas within arms reach for a quick purge.
A blend of argon nitrogen and co2. Good in theory. But not in the real world. Shoots out way to hard and I sprayed wine literally everywhere! Even the ceiling. IMG_9046.jpg

Latest posts

Back