Have you ever started a wine that you have never tried?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I recently won a free pail of M&M juice, it's an Italian Amarone. I have never even tasted an amarone or considered making one. All I understand so far from reading is the grapes are usually dried to concentrate the sugars and the wines alcohol content is higher than the usual bottle of wine.

Can I get any tip or suggestions from anyone here who makes an amarone. What yeast did you use? What oaking did you prefer? Anything at all so I can get the most from this pail.

Thanks!

Good score Joe. I don't recall which yeast I used but I have made a few pails of it and it comes out great. I will try to remember to check and see for you. I think the pails already had yeast added. If you can get some grapes or grape pack, that will add some body and Mosti's Amarone Rennassace kit included them. The kit had EC-1118 for yeast as it is fairly vigorous, high alchohol tolerance an is neutral flavored. I would add about 3 ounces of a medium toast french oak. It takes a while to age- like a year, but I really enjoyed them all, especially the Rennaissance kit I won gold with in the Winemaker Mag contest several years ago.

Of course if you don't want it........ I can send you a shipping label to dispose of it!

Good score Joe. I don't recall which yeast I used but I have made a few pails of it and it comes out great. I will try to remember to check and see for you. I think the pails already had yeast added. If you can get some grapes or grape pack, that will add some body and Mosti's Amarone Rennassace kit included them. The kit had EC-1118 for yeast as it is fairly vigorous, high alchohol tolerance an is neutral flavored. I would add about 3 ounces of a medium toast french oak. It takes a while to age- like a year, but I really enjoyed them all, especially the Rennaissance kit I won gold with in the Winemaker Mag contest several years ago.

Of course if you don't want it........ I can send you a shipping label to dispose of it!

LOL! I think I will keep it. Thank you for the advise.

Now when you say grapes or grape pack are you talking about ordinary table grapes from the supermarket? I would like to maybe add some raisins for more body but I'm not sure what variety to add. Will any raisin work? What would you suggest?

LOL! I think I will keep it. Thank you for the advise.

Now when you say grapes or grape pack are you talking about ordinary table grapes from the supermarket? I would like to maybe add some raisins for more body but I'm not sure what variety to add. Will any raisin work? What would you suggest?

No, grape packs of wine grapes, not table grapes. Lots of wine kits come with a grape pack. You also can buy the grape packs separately on Ebay and from US-elite series.

Joe, grapes from the super market will not do the job nearly as well. They are normally table grapes, not wine grapes. I like Amarone very much, truly one of my favorite wines. When I make it, I add a grape pack of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to the primary fermentation. Grape packs are not cheap (about $20 each) but you don't have a lot tied up at this point. For grape packs, I buy on eBay. You have to buy 4 for about $80 including shipping. If you cannot use that many, perhaps you know another wine maker with whom you could share the order. Try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fior+d%27uva&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I had never tasted a Barolo or an Amarone. I made an MM Meglioli Barolo, in which I am very disappointed. I also made an Amarone and it has turned out just OK. Note that not everyone appreciates the taste of even a very good Amarone; it is a little different.

Joe, grapes from the super market will not do the job nearly as well. They are normally table grapes, not wine grapes. I like Amarone very much, truly one of my favorite wines. When I make it, I add a grape pack of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to the primary fermentation. Grape packs are not cheap (about $20 each) but you don't have a lot tied up at this point. For grape packs, I buy on eBay. You have to buy 4 for about $80 including shipping. If you cannot use that many, perhaps you know another wine maker with whom you could share the order. Try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fior+d%27uva&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thanks for the link but I don"t have anyone I could share with. I wish I could swing it but $80 is not in my budget right now.

I will probably go with some raisins from the health food store.

Back