Mosti Mondiale Has anyone else experienced this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titan

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this. I started a meglioli shiraz, when the S.G. reached 1040, I racked into clean carboy as instructed. I added oak chips and yeast nutrient and filled to about two inches from top. About ten minutes later the carboy started overflowing. When I tried to push the oak chips down it did it again. It has since settled down and is fermenting fine. Any thoughts?

I haven't experienced that myself but if you search "wine volcano" on this site you will find lots of folks that have.

I waited a few days extra until the S.G. was lower than what was stated on the instructions and I did not have any issues. If my memory serves me correctly, Meglioli instructions say rack after three to five days?? I waited until it was closer to 1.000 which was about 9 days. Adding the oak chips probably added additional oxygen to a must that was still pretty active, which might have caused it to overflow.

I agree woth cocroach, wait until you sg is lower. At 1.040 you still have a fairly active fermentation going.

Adding the oak chips probably added additional oxygen to a must that was still pretty active, which might have caused it to overflow.

Or, more likely, adding oak provided lots of nucleation sites for CO2 bubbles to form out of your supersaturated must.

Latest posts

Back