Hard Cider, No Fermentation...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kribus

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

A while ago me and my Girlfriend picked some apples at her Grandmothers place and decided to try and make hard cider.
We have juice the apples and placed the juice in the primary fermentor, added the yeast, added the champaigne yeast nutrient and added something that would clear it up(forget the name).
Since then we have had no bubbling in the air lock and we checked the gravity after a week and we still have a potential alchohol percentage of 5%.
Would anybody have any idea where we went wrong or how we can fix the situation?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kribus

There are a few other variables you need to provide such as the temperature of the juice when you pitched the yeast in, what temperature are you keeping it at now, and did you put the clearing agent in when you pitched the yeast?

Hello,

A while ago me and my Girlfriend picked some apples at her Grandmothers place and decided to try and make hard cider.
We have juice the apples and placed the juice in the primary fermentor, added the yeast, added the champaigne yeast nutrient and added something that would clear it up(forget the name).
Since then we have had no bubbling in the air lock and we checked the gravity after a week and we still have a potential alchohol percentage of 5%.
Would anybody have any idea where we went wrong or how we can fix the situation?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kribus

We need to know the name of the stuff you added to clear. Pectin enzyme?

'A while ago' - Today? Yesterday? Last Week?

When did you make the juice
When did the yeast get pitched?
What yeast was it?

Is it in a container where you can tell if theres debris at the bottom? Any sludge?

Fermentation usually overrides pectic enzymes, but if fermentation never took off, there should atleast be some pectin at the bottom

there should not be an airlock on during primary fermentation. it needs oxygen. keep it cover with a clean cloth

The apples were juiced two weeks ago on the 15th of october, we pitched the yeast on the 22nd of october.

Flame, that might of been it,
you think by now its too late to put a cloth?
Should I re-pitch my yeast?

I don't suppose it will hurt to try it. I would imagine the yeast hasn't died but Im very new and still learning myself.

kribus...

Did you take a hydrometer reading at the beginning?

Steve

When you juiced the apples did you or anyone add any preservatives to the juice? What kind of yeast did you use? Do you know how old it was? How did you add the yeast? Did you add the yeast to warmed apple juice? How hot was the liquid?

We did not use preservatives, the juice was 6 days old, we kept the juice in the fridge. We did not heat it up(we just let it reach room temperature) before we pitched the yeast. I am not sure the exact type of yeast, but it was champagne yeast.

When we added the yeast, we sprinkled it evenly on top, let it work for 30mins theb stired it in.(as instructed on the packet).

We did add sugar and water into the mixture. In total we had 8l of juice.

After trying to make something happen in the bucket, the cider made a white layer on top and went bad. I'll have to retry next year when we can get more apples.

I had a similar experience and now have 15% alcogol apple cider ,yum yum.
I don't pay much attention to what measurements I use ,if a little is ok a lots better. I mashed up 2-3 gallonbs of apples just like you guys did then dumped loads of sugar in then half a jar of baking yeast and lots of water . Not much was happening in a week or so ,It was sweet so I dumper a jar of yeast in, a wek or so later a couple more gallons of watewr ,then because my welches grape juice wine was drinkable I forgot about the applecider . Probably 2 months later I checked it ,it was like applesauce,I managed to siphon a bit off and it was pretty potent so I strained it through a pantyhose leg. and bottled it in 2liter pop containers and a couple of gallon jugs .It still was looking like applesauce so I strained it again. not much stayed in the pantyhose this time but it still was thick looking . Last night it seperated a little so I got a few good drinks from it and a good kick too. today I went to the grocery store and got pectin from the baking dept. I dumped a teaspoon in to each 2liter container to see what would happen. That was 10 minutes ago .. As far as following any recipes ,I never do ,but I'm no conisuer of wine .I only like the effects it has on my brain. So far I made pineapple wine ,manch cherry wine and canned grape juuice wine ,it all turned out pretty potent , oh yeah my applecider fizzed all over the place after I opened the bottle ,It wouldnt stop till I got the cap back on.i guess at 15% alcohol it is still working. I'd taste your mixture ,if its sweet add yeast ,if not add sugar ..Good luck.

Back