handles for glass carboys,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and trust it to handle the 5 Carboy when empty. When full...I have a hand underneath it. At 8 lb per gallon, they get heavy quick.

I've been using the handles to carry full carboys for 3 or 4 years. I went to buy another handle a few weeks ago and they told me I should always have a hand under a full carboy when using the handle, so they sold me one of those nylon strap things. I think it was a Carboy Hauler. So that's what I'm going to as needed.

The neck of the carboy is NOT designed to hold the weight of a full carboy. Thus, a neck handle is NOT for carrying purposes.

The handle is supposed to be used to help "support" the carrying. As such, I find them useless. I can hold the neck with my hand to support it. I don't need a handle.

Some mechanical means of securing a handhold on a larger (6Gal.) carboy is always a good idea. A little bit of moisture can make glass slippery very quickly and our friend "gravity" is always standing by to take over faster than you can say "OH S**T!" :slp

Floandgary beat me to it while I was checking something out. From my perspective, the neck handle is great for carrying an EMPTY carboy AND when cleaning. Very slippery! I use either the Carboy Hauler or check out www.carboy.net. Very nice product!! I have 5 of these.

Floandgary beat me to it while I was checking something out. From my perspective, the neck handle is great for carrying an EMPTY carboy AND when cleaning. Very slippery! I use either the Carboy Hauler or check out www.carboy.net. Very nice product!! I have 5 of these.

Nice product! For the cheapos' like me, the aforementioned milk crate provides a good measure of safety. There are many stories of carboys attempting an escape which will make you think about the possibilities!

I have several sturdy canvas totes that I've gotten at conferences over the years. These work well for simple carboy transfer duties. I have made a brew-hauler type caddy using a juice bucket lid as a base, running the nylon rope underneath for extra support. I've teamed it up with a come-a-long winch for lifting when my spine wasn't up to the task.

Floandgary beat me to it while I was checking something out. From my perspective, the neck handle is great for carrying an EMPTY carboy AND when cleaning. Very slippery! Check out www.carboy.net. Very nice product!! I have 5 of these.

X2 on these, they are GREAT. Cover and carry all in one. I have 5 or 6 also.

My 2 cents! Drop a 6 gal carboy on a tile floor ( ie slippery when wet & soapy) cut ur feet in 3 places & you'll be racing to get handles for EVERY carboy! I lifted them by the handles for yrs, NO problems, BUT I now have carboy carriers on rollers to move them around, 2 carboys per carrier. That with a vacuum pump, I never have to lift a full one again. Roy

I like the idea of using carboy handles - but placing the carboys in milk crates and then if you need to move them place them on a moving dolly. You can also screw the milk crate down to the dolly for extra security.

I will not lift a full carboy by just the handle as others have mentioned - The neck is not made to do that.

The neck of the carboy is NOT designed to hold the weight of a full carboy. Thus, a neck handle is NOT for carrying purposes.

Any documentation on that claim? I was not aware of that concern, and have been toting full carboys by the metal handle the whole (admittedly short) time I have been doing this hobby.

Any documentation on that claim? I was not aware of that concern, and have been toting full carboys by the metal handle the whole (admittedly short) time I have been doing this hobby.

These handles fit around the lip of glass carboys. They make an empty carboy easier to carry (especially when wet). These are not meant to carry full carboys without additional support. Always carry full carboys while supporting them from the bottom!

This was taken from
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-handle-5-6-gallon-carboys.html

Product Description
This regular handle is compatible with standard 3, 5, or 6 gallon carboys. Fits beneath lip of a glass carboy. Reduces the danger of dropping a full or wet carboy. This is not designed for supporting the weight of a full carboy; always support full carboys from the bottom!

well beings they grinded 8 inch by 1/4 in my upper back and neck vertebra to remove infection at the same time cutting my right leg off below the knee, not to mention 5 bulging disk t2 thru t7 and got t12 completely crushed by a horse 4 months after my triple bypass,,, i'll go with milk crates and 4 wheel movers dollies, carpenter bout my whole life, got a ton off them dollies,,,, that'll go right along with the vacuum set up stuff, I got from vacuumpumpman,,,,, the heavest thing I plan on lifting will be my 18 oz wine glass,:sm

I used to have the carboy handles. After hearing some bad things, I stopped using it on full carboys. I still like it for when they're empty and for washing, but I got the nylon slings. I think they are a LOT better anyway.

Latest posts

Back