Growing in Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I was at Lowes today in Inverness, Florida which is about as Central Florida as it gets. I was looking for fig trees and came across a large variety of grape plants. Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, and many others. I was of the understanding that nothing would grow in our area except Muscadine because of climate and humidity. Is Lowes just ripping people off or do they know something I don't?

Pretty much. Most stores like that don't really know what they are doing concerning berry plants. However, someone will buy it without knowing and that is all that matters to them. Now for the other part...
Yes, muscadine will absolutely be the best there but there are bunch grapes that will produce fine down there. Most of them are results of the cross breeding departments at fsu. A quick search of them should help you out but some are conquistador, blue lake, Swanee, lake emerald. Look up Cathy at grapesofkath.com. She is in Florida and sells most if those varieties.

I did find 2 Mars in Lowes about 2 weeks ago. They were about dead.Could not leave any grape vine behind. One did sprout leaves the other is still trying. I wish the rain will stop so I can get some work done.

Latest posts

Back