Growing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the Slovak Republic and the Ukraine a couple years ago, and many of the houses in villages had a "vinyard" covering the driveway. The lots were very narrow, maybe 25-30 feet wide, and each house was separated from its neighbor by the driveway that went into the back yard. The trellis' were very simple, 1" pipe it looked like, verticle and then across the top -- and the whole thing when leafed out looked like a carport -- only out of grapevines growing on the side, then going over the top of the driveway toward the house.

Wade, maybe that'll make sense if you can visualize in your head!
smiley36.gif

I'll try to find some pictures and post if I do.

Dave

I always wanted a garage! Maybe I can hinge the vines!
smiley36.gif
My friend has a neighbor with what you are talking about with the pipe and everything.

Hi Al

this is good info.. I am looking for a couple wine grape cuttings... Not really concerned about the variety. I am in zone 5... very seldom will it get colder than -15... The spot I plan on putting them will be full sun. Right now all I have is a concord grape vine which did quite well. Have been searching the internet for a source... Your advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Rocky Top.....you are more than welcome to cuttings from me when i prune late winter or early spring....but for the price...just a few bucks, i think you will be better going w the vine nurseries that way you will save an entire year or two depending on what size vines you buy.

All of my vines (1400)were purchased from Andy Farmer at Northeast Vine Supply...the quality and the service were very good...I also hear wonderful things about Double A, but i have no personal experience w them

After you settle on the varieties, run it by me and if I have any of the varieties you want, then you are MORE than welcome to my cuttings - AL

Thanks for the info Al. Will do a little research on the varieties I would be interested in... Not sure if any of those suppliers would be interested in such a small order

Colorado... Live NW of Denver. Few vineyards in west Colorado around Grand Junction.

Most of the suppliers will sell small quantities, they just charge a premium price for them. Post the varieties you think you might like. I may have a few vines to spare for the cost of shipping. They are in my nursery and were cuttings this last season. They would be rooted and would gain you a year. I have about 15 varieties in the nursery at present, about 12-1500 total. I'm not out to sell vines, but like to help others when I can.

What Varieties do you have available Richard? And would they grow in the south? i.e. NC, Arkasas, La., Arizona, Fl.? Thats a pretty good offer.

Well... when it comes to what varieties I would be interested in opens it up to all types that would do well in this area. I really enjoy this hobby but I dont know a good wine from a bad one.I use friends to taste the wine I am brewing to let me know how it is during the process. I have a thimble of mogan david at church every sunday and thats not to bad but I need to expand my taste. So, anything but a concord grape, I have one of those.

Thanks

St. Pepin is a great white, but needs another vine near it for pollination. LaCrosse is a sister to St. Pepin and makes a good pollinator for it. I also have Edelweiss- a heavy yielder also.

did a search on the internet.. The St Pepin sounds likewhat I am looking for... and to pollinate with the Lacrosse. Sounds perfect as I will be preparing an area for two grape vines... they will have full sun and I will be hauling in soil for the area because the ground here is clay. Did that for my other grape vine "concord" and it seems to be doing quite well.

Good job. Do your research and ground prep and you are well on your way to enjoying a small crop in a few years. Send me a PM and give me an address and then remind me towards planting time. I usually dig them in mid April. I can send bare- root to save shipping costs.

Will do... actually I attempted to send you a PM ... but it says you have exceeded the number of PM's you are allowed to recieve. Will try again at a later date... thanks

Back