Growing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Like rocky Top I am also limited to where I can grow grapes in my yard, but my deal is because of sunlight and drainage. I may have a solution but it will require me to keep control of it. If i were to grow vines on a lattice wall would I be able to keep them on 1 side without ruining them cause the other side will up against my nice neighbors driveway so he will be a little lenient but vines hanging all over his truck will not fly. Can i just clip those shoots or keep redirecting them to my side?

Wade. you can train the vines to the area you want. You can also prune them. You may affect the yield of the vine but you certainly will not kill it. When I lived in Illinois I had a small grape arbor of Concords that I kept pruned back to just the arbor. I always had massive amounts of grapes on it. This was the vines my Mom made wine from when we were kids.

Thanks, I will do this next year as my wife wants to create a barrier and that gives me permission!
smiley20.gif

Wade you can do almost anything you want with grapes. They train very easily and can be pruned to stay in a certain area. The one thing they really don't like is being confined to a container. They have very spreading roots and don't respond well when put in a pot of any kind. That's not to say they won't grow a bit and stay alive, but they just don't thrive enough to grow much for grapes. For the homeowner, highest yields usually are given when grown on some type of trellis because it keeps air movement all around them, thus minimizing diseases so that they will usually bear grapes without much for sprays.

get a picture on here that shows the options and each pic should have a daylight/hours note next to it....you would be suprised by the answere people will have from a single picture

if it doesnt work out for you..i could have you adopt some of mine like the Highway Adoption Program ! :)

I dont know if I could handle cuttings, arent those harder to grow? I dont have a very green thumb at all. Either way Im gonna need some hand holding here!
smiley36.gif

When would be a good time to purchase vines and where and how deep do you till for best results or do you just dig a deep hole. I am gonna need a lot of help here and will ask questions as I think them up. As Ive said before I am no gardener.

the rules for cuttings

choose the variety you want

take a cuting about 6-12 inches long/slant cut /new growth

remove the very brand new leaves and the lower leaves that will go below potting medium

place lower stem in rooting hormone...easily found at garden centers

dimple the soild w a pencil to depth of cutting and leave the one to four leaves that remain...i would say 1-3 is best...and consider trimming the size of your largest leaf to reduce transpiration

insert cutting and place in shaded area w air flow but not wind

water and monitor first few weeks for wilting

the ones that are not gonna make it will kick the bucket early on

fertilize as you see roots are developing...lightly at first then stronger...use liquid fert

there are different philosophies...but i feel that the earlier you do this in a season the more likliehod that the new growth will harden off

on the other hand...for just a few vines they are cheap enough to buy and you will gain one to two years ( no small import there!)

Edited by: Al Fulchino

one bit of *hand holding advice* that tops all others

you can prepare the soil to make it the best in the world

you can even choose the best varieties in the world

you can build an awesome trellis w a very nice irrigation set up

you can even clear trees and other things for sun and air flow

but if you DO NOT prepare ahead of time with a spray program for the climate you are in....then you have decided to waste your time..do not let disease and insect control intimidate you....get a sprayers for your size vineyard...more than one is best...choose your weapons....even do a practice run w just water

i dont care if its organic or other types.....you WILL have issues....look into that FIRSTEdited by: Al Fulchino

Im probably the same climate as Appleman so hopefully he can help me out with what is needed.

I agree with Al. There are probably more failed vines due to lack of disease and insect control than any other thing. We will aid you in controlling these- ewith either organic or chemical, but it is up to you to control these at appropriate times. It is fine to dream that you can get by with nothing in the east, but then you get nothing! A few appropriately applied sprays at the correct time is all that is needed.

I have no problems with spraying my vines with whatever you recommend. Im not 1 of those people that say to let nature do its thing, I want the best product that I can get out of it. Seen as how they are going to be crawling up a lattice wall would I still want them 4' apart?It basically will be a walkway with lattice roof and vines growing on both sides. I geusee I will have to work them row by row form the bottom up and then across the roof eventually right. With typical lattice, usually 2" squares, about how high will I let them get before i start training them to go verticle and what wiil be the spacing from that verticle shoot to my next verticle. Im guessing that I will have to keep the top thinned out more to let sun in as this structure will probably be about 16'-20' long. I believe I may do Cayuga unless you guys tell me its a problem child.

Probably the best way to start is to give us a sketch of the design you have in mind and then we can make some suggestion on the best way to effectively cover it with grapes. I don't see a problem with Cayuga if that is what you want. I had some today as I bottled and I must say it turned out very nice.

Me sketch? I typically design in my head as I cant draw well at all. All I can say is that it will be approx 8' tall, 16'-20 long and about 8' wide like a long lattice tunnel made out of cedar or that imitation wood looking plastic material which would probably be better since I wont have to stain it and it wont get week where the wood overlaps itself.

It sounds like it should be pretty easy to build and install. Should be a piece of cake getting the grapes to grow right over it. I would leave the top pretty open to let the grapes hang down. If you put lattice on the top, the grapes might just sit on top out of reach.

Good point and it might block too much sun also is what I was thinking. I really like the look and may think about doing lattice panels in intervals with like 1 1/2' open spaces in between for air, light, and grape picking abilities.

Wade you will have to do some pruning down the road aways. Will you be able to reach the middle of your tunnel from the top side? I know what appleman is talking about also. I had a dog run that I used grape for shade in the summer. I used tomato cage wire on it. The grapes hung down through the wire. It made them pretty easy to pick. However some still laid up on top and I had to reach up through to pick those. I thought I would give you something to think about.

Thanks Swill. Yea, after reading that which appleman posted I had to redesign it in my head. I will have to leave slots open in the roof of the the tunnel for access to the hopeful bounty.
Edited by: wade

Latest posts

Back