Mosti Mondiale grigionnay first mm kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesover

Reaction score
started my first mm kit sunday. decided to check it out today. it was fermenting but there was a froth on the top, is this normal and should i stir this at all?
20080218_141624_100_1292_Small.jpg

I started the same kit, right after the first of the year, and it looked exactly the same after a day or two. It was that way for a couple days, and I gently stirred it with my floating thermometer, only to insure it wasn't getting too solid. I -- literally -- would take only a turn or two around the foam with the thermometer when I was checking the temp -- as much to get the foam off the thermometer to read it, as to check the consistency of the foam.

I'm 6 weeks into the kit now, and really pleased. I'll bet you will be too !!!
smiley2.gif

I am now in the clearing stage -- having topped up -- and will let it set awhile longer, then rack. I'll store/age in the carboy for awhile -- at least a few weeks -- before I bottle. It looks great -- a deep rich amber color in the carboy!

smiley4.gif

Ace, it looks really nice so far!!! Way to go!! And let us know how you enjoy it down the road a few months from now. :)

transferd to carboy today. only 4 days in primary and the sg droped to 1.01 down from 1.084.
20080221_193808_100_1313_Small.jpg

i was surprised at how little sediment there was at the bottom of primary.
Edited by: acesover

im in the clearing stage now and have a lot of head space. can i hook up the break bleeder insted of toping off?

Do not create a vacuum while clearing as it will cause all the sediment to collect at the top instead of the bottom. I know, I did it when i first bought my vacuum pump. I would transfer to 5 gallon carboy if you have not added fining agent, if you have then either top up or use sanitized marbles to displace the missing volume.

Back