Greeting from MI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to wine making and I hope this forum can help me along my journey to making great wine.

I just bottled my first wine, the Cellar Craft Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet. I chose this wine because it had great reviews on the Northernbrewer web site. Not the best way to choose a kit but I had to start somewhere. It wasn’t until I started reading the posts on here that I realized that I should be aging this wine for at least a year or more to get the best out of it. This was a kit with I believe 20L of grape juice + skins + oak chips.

For my next wine I want to make a wine that I can drink sooner, so I would like some suggestions for wines or wine kits, that can be consumed after about 5 – 6 months and that do not need aging too long.

Am I better off going with a 7.5 or 10L wine concentrate kit for this?

Happy new Year to all,

Mike

Hi mike and welcome. I work in MI (new buffalo) but live in IN. You started out with a great kit! Mine is bulk aging but I won't bottle until next October. I haven't really done a red that I would recommend as a quick drinker but I'm sure someone will chime in.

A lot of us make dragons blood for a quickee. It's not what a lot of people would refer to as a typical wine but it is quick and most importantly tastee.

Mike - Welcome to the forum. I made the Cellar Craft Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet 2 years ago. Great wine. I have about 12 bottles left. As far as kits that you can drink early, you might want to try a white (Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc). Whites tend to drink better early ... however, my wife drinks the WE Eclipse Pinot Nior I make about one month after bottleing and she loves it. I don't bulk age it at all, I just follow the directions. It gets better with age, but 30 bottles only lasts me about 10 months. Need to make 2 kits next time.

Welcome Mike. I did like Simpsini suggested and made 2(sometimes more) kits at a time. That way I could start sampling at 6 months and at a year still have some left ;)
Now every 2 months I start a new one and always have a good selection come the 1 year mark :dg :)

Bergamais is a good early red wine. Either Vintner's reserve or Winekitz traditional vintage. Or Vintner's Reserve Coastal Red. I like the Cheeky Monkey brand - good right away and better as time goes along.

Thanks for all your replies, they give some great ideas to start my next batch.
I also want to try to support my LHBS so will see what they have in stock.
I will keep you updated on how it goes, and of course I will have lots of questions as I progress.

Cimbaliw – I live close to Brighton, about 2 hours East of you.

I forgot to add that I had never heard of dragons blood, but will be sure to give it a try in the near future.

mikefrommichigan said:
I forgot to add that I had never heard of dragons blood, but will be sure to give it a try in the near future.

Welcome to the forum Mike! You would get hundreds of comments here reassuring you that dragons blood is a good fast drinker! And when I say fast I meant fast - as in where did it all go?? I'm only on my 2nd 6gal batch but it is great!

WELCOME

Head down 23 to Dundee. They have concentrates that make pretty good early drinkable wine. I hope you saved and froze the skins from the red mt to use one more time. It's a trick that works well to beef up a cheaper kit.

homewinery.com they carry WE products as well.

I made the ruby red to 5 gal with grape skins and oak in Nov. Had the first bottle last night and was pleasantly suprised at how good it was, especially for $1.12/bottle.

If you do a Bergamais, use the 71b-1122 yeast. That promotes an early drink as well. Nouveau Beaujolais

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to homewinery.com. Unfortunately I did not think about keeping the grape skins for re-use, but I will next time.

Latest posts

Back