Green fungi during red wine fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter.povy

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm tring to make my first red wine. Now it's the second week of fermentation and when I made a small control of the wine I noticed a few, small (2-4mm), green color particles. Is this a mold contamination? Smell of the wine is fine. What should I do now?

Thank you
Peter

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 21
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
Your guess looks correct, green floating mass would indicate a mold. If you have a microscope it will look like filaments.

Mold requires oxygen for growth, I would filter (ex cheese cloth), and switch from an open mouth container to a carboy and the sulphite. All grape juice starts with a variety of microbial contamination. It dies off because 5% alcohol inhibits and pH inhibit and SO2 inhibits and a CO2 headspace kills it.

I should add welcome to Wine Making Talk !

Welcome to WMT!

Echoing @Rice_Guy's advice, add 1/4 tsp K-meta (potassium metabisulfite) per 5-6 US gallons / 19-23 liters of wine.

What is your SG (specific gravity)? When the SG is <= 0.998 and doesn't change for 3 days, the fermentation is done. At that point (or before) you want the wine out of an open container. During fermentation the yeast uses O2 for reproduction -- after that O2 is one of many enemies of your wine.

Trust your nose. If the wine smells good, it's fine.

Back