WineXpert Green Apple Riesling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomK-B

Reaction score
I'm making the Island Mist, Green Apple Riesling. I decided to ferment to dry in primary. That is now complete (SG: .990). Here is my question. When I rack to glass to stablize and clear, do I stir the sediment up into the wine before racking, or leave it settled at the bottom of the primary bucket?

The reason I ask is that the instructions say to leave the sediment in the bucket when racking to secondary (This assumes the SG is at about 1.010 when moved to secondary). Then, 10 days later, to stir the sediment up into the secondary before racking for stablizing and clearing. Since I've skipped the secondary fermentation phase, should I include the sediment or not? By the way, the fining agent included in this kit is Isinglass.

I would leave the sediment in the primary and still rack into the secondary carboy for clearing. The clearing and stabilizing steps are when you are adding you flavoring pack as well. This is also when you are degassing your wine which is very important to getting you wine to clear properly. I would follow you directions after you rack into a secondary as if you had did a secondary ferentation according to the directions.

Follow the directions. Some fining agents require the sediment to work properly so if it ssys rack everything over do it or it will not vlear properly!!!!

We did that kit a few months ago ... I don't remember which way it said to go but we followed the directions and it turned out great!

Thanks for the feedback!:h I now have my Green Apple Riesling in secondary (though nothing is happening as it was fermented to dry in primary). SG is .990. This weekend I plan to stablize and rack to another carboy where I will add the "F" pack and degas.

Now for another question. This time about bottling. I plan for this wine to be a "summer sipper." And I doubt it will last through September at the latest. I'm thinking of bottling it in 1/2 gallon jugs. What do folks think about that idea?

Tom, sorry that I am a little late in getting into this post. I was wondering, did you or did you not stir up the wine before racking? I would not have stirred it up as the reason for doing so is to re-suspend yeast in the wine to insure complete fermentation. As you were at SG 0.990, I would say that fermentation was complete and I would have proceeded to the stabilizing and clearing phase.

As far as the half gallon jugs are concerned, seems a little expensive to me unless you have the jugs handy. I use the 1500 ml bottles for my "summer sippers" like Pinot Grigio and Riesling. BTW, I made a Cellar Craft Riesling and when I went to secondary (at SG 1.020) I juiced in my juicer about 8 Granny Smith apples and added the juice to the secondary. Turned out great. I am sure yours will be super.

Rocky, I decided to follow the advise given in the forum and follow the instructions. Thus, I did not stir before racking to secondary. I will, however, stir up the wine before adding the clearing agent, as per the instructions. I plan to allow the clearing to go on for a couple of weeks, then filter and bottle.

I was initially thinking of bottling in the 1500 ml bottles until I discovered that it would cost me $10 less to buy the 1/2 gallon jugs than the 1500 ml bottles. I've never used the jugs before, though, and so was wondering if the wine would preserve for two or three months with the screw top caps on the jugs. I realize that many commercial wines are currently being bottled with screw top caps and I buy them all the time. But I'm not a commercial winery, and am just wondering if it would be feasible for a hobby, kit winemaker like me to bottle in the 1/2 gallon jugs successfully.

Gotcha, Tom. I get all my bottles from free sources so I don't pay for the 1500 ml bottles. I remember years ago when we used to put wine in 1 gallon jugs, my Grandfather put a cork in the jug and melted wax around the top. These were then stored in a corner of the wine cellar and covered with sand to help stabilize the temperature! Talk about "belt and suspenders."

Rocky, I LOVE IT!!!:br Hope my wife doesn't mind a pile of sand in the floor of the closet!:)

OK, folks, time to report in on my progress with this little "summer sipper." As mentioned above, I did go ahead and transfer to a secondary even though it had fermented to dry in primary. I allowed it to rest in secondary for a week and then stirred it up, added the sorbate, k-meta and isinglass. I degassed and racked to a clean carboy into which I had already poured the f-pack. I continued stirring and degassing with my vacuvin for a long while, then set it away for two weeks to clear. The night before last, with the help of my daughter (who is home from school for a few days) we bottled into 1/2 gallon jugs. The jugs are now safely buried in a pile of dirt in the closet. :) OK, that's not true. But I did box up the jugs (save the one that went immediately into the cooler) and put them in the closet.

Last night we tasted the Green Apple Riesling and I am just really tickled with how well this turned out. It is EXACTLY what I was hoping for in a little "summer sipper." Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Green Apple Riesling '11.JPG

I've done this one twice, Tom. My wife likes it very much. I'm glad yours turned out great! Happy wining! :b

Just thought I'd give a little follow-up to my batch of Green Apple Riesling. Hmmmm . . . it didn't last too long! I thought it was great. My family and friends also thought it was great! So, the result is that I will be bottling my second batch in two weeks (have it clearing now). And I have to say that for these little Mist kits, I love using the half gallon jugs for bottling. I'll post another picture when I get this next batch bottled.

I have this kit waiting in the wings for after the new year. Can't wait to start it. Had it first at a wine tasting and we liked it so well we bought a case at 12.50 a bottle. That was before I realized it was a kit also. I could have bought two of the kits. Oh well live and learn. I am glad it turned out well for you.

I've got another one of these ready to bottle now, just in time for the holidays! My wife is very happy...which means I'm happy! :D

Latest posts

Back