Other Green apple reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hello all, I had a question for the forum. Thanks to a little shipping mix up I have ended up with two kits of the Green Apple Reisling. My husband, who has assisted me with several kits, asked if we could have a "wine off" and we each make the kit our own way and decide which is better. I am fine with that but he started to talk about putting a few slices of real apple into each bottle. I told him I thought that may throw off SG or do something bad. I am open to comments or sugestions. Putting more sugar in one might be an idea to raise the Alcohol content?? I have pretty much done kits by the book and have done no fooling around. Maybe this is a good opportunity but I do not want to waste it. Thanks

All great inventions are done by trial and error.Just keep track of everything you do incase you make the great wine you always wanted.GOOD LUCK!

Lots of people boost the abv with adding about 4 lbs of sugar. Im not sure o would do that to that kit as its a fragile kit and perfectly balanced in my opinion compared to some other mist kits. As far as the slice of apple I dont think it would harm anything or change anything either. It would look good though. Not sure if it would turn brown as that kit is low alc.

Thanks Grumpy and Wade, I will showyour responses to my husband and see what he wants to do. I will probably do one kit by the books and decide with him what to do with the other kit. I assume the apple will have to be sanatized in some manner right?? Thanks

Since you will be adding the apple after fermentation then just washing the outside will do and maybe dip the slices into a small container with ascorbic acid so that it doesnt brown while you are bottling as apples brown very fast.

I don't think I would put apple slices in the bottles of finished wine myself. It would undoubtedly deteriorate and cause unsightly sludge in the bottle. After all the work of fermenting and clearing the kit, it would be a shame to have a cloudy, gooey mess.

Any other suggestions to punch up this kit other than adding sugar?? Adding sugar just boosts the abv right , it does not increase the sweetness. I have never done that.
Thank for your help.

I seem to recall from the days when I had first joined the forum there were some people using raisins (yellow raisins forwhite wine) and/or bananas to help enhance body in a white wine, but I do not have much experience with sweet wine making. I'm guessing that Waldo, Wade, Appleman and some others will have more to add there.

Out of curiosity, what yeast came with the kit?

- Jim

Almost all these kits come with Lalvin 1118. You could also up the abv with using some or all of the F-pack up front. By doing this you will lose sweetness at the end and possibly even some flavoring.

HMMMMM, lots of things to consider. I am going to do the one kit by the books and generally like sweet wines, uping the abv is an option but I do not want to do that at the risk of loosing sweetness. In other words I am more likely to add the sugar than do the f-pack up front as wade suggested. My husband and I are discussing our options. In the meantime I just started my choco raspberry port this evening

To be honest with you I wouldnt fool around with this kit too much as it is a very delicate 1 that is not too sweet unlike some of the other mist kits. I might up the abv a little with sugar but not much IMO. There are a few mist kits that I would use 1/2 the F-Pack on.

I copied this post of mine here to give you another idea you may want to try.

I'll be starting a batch of Watermelon White Merlot soon and plan on adding half of the F-pack during secondary fermentation. This of course is after I boosted the SG to end up with a 12.5% or better wine. The last of the F-pack will be refrigerated untill its supposed to be added to the kit B4 clearing. I think this has helped in both providing a bit more body to the wine while cutting down on the sweet but leaving great flavor.
I made a Mango Citrus Synphony this way a few months ago and opened a couple bottles at a party this weekend. Got Rave reviews all around. It had the sweetness needed and was not over powered by the ABV content. I also felt that the body was very nice, not too thin and not too heavy. Very refreshing both very cold and even at the temp you would drink a normal white wine at.
It may just be my formula for great sucess with the IM kits.
What is it about just not being able to create a batch of "low test" wine....?

Cheers!

I did almost the same thing but upped it in the beginning with all sugar and added the whole f-pack at the end with the Watermelon Merlot. It came out great.

Back