grape variety for new vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james3838

Reaction score
I have a perfect area on the farm directly behind my house to start a small vineyard. I have scuppernongs and wild bullices already but I would like to start something a little different. My issue is that I don't know what types will grow well in the hot SC summers. I would love to try merlot and I would like to have a white and another black/ blue grape. I'm more into the fruit wine making than grapes, so I have no idea what types will do well here. I have plenty of heavy equipment on the farm to dig good, deep trenches and holes and modify the dirt to whatever is needed and I can water as much as needed. The dirt here is a mix of red and white clay, typically ~ PH of 6, and as I said, I will condition it to get it to the right PH and porosity. The area gets full sunlight all day long and is a small hill that is open on the north, east and south sides.
Any suggestions?

Not sure where Little Mtn. is but I'm 1 mi. from Tenn. & 8 mi. from No. Car. At 1500 ft. elevation. I have 10 Merlot growing & 4 Cataba's. All doing quite well, will be the first year of harvest on Catabas, Merlot younger but growing. Do wish I dug deeper trenches & added sand to our red "brick" clay, I dug 5 gal. size holes & added composted soil, adjusted PH, then planted. There is a commerical Merlot Vineyard a few miles away. Local county Ag. agent may be a big help for you. Not to mention a good water source. GOOD LUCK, Roy

how about some other types of muscadines, such as noble?

Contact your nearest county extension office and see if they can tell you whether or not your in an area that is susceptible to Pierce's disease or not. That will tell you if you should stay away from vinifera grapes or not.

Thanks all. I'll definitely check with the Clemson extension service for the best recommended grapes for this are.
Julie, I've never heard of the noble but will check it out. Is it a white or a dark grape?
Racer, thanks for reminding me of the diseases. My buddy started some grapes a few years back, can't remember what kind though, and they did good until some sort of fungus or disease practically wiped them out.

Latest posts

Back