grape suggestions for first wine from scratch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
So I just made the mistake of visiting George's website for the first time and looking at the limited addition, pre-order kits...the MM amarone looks really nice. But I want to make wine from scratch! While I really like the simplicity of the kits and the almost gauranteed excellent results if I follow the directions it is kinda like baking a cake from a box versus from scratch.

Granted I am only on my second kit and so probably feeling cocky but can anyone suggest a grape/frozen grapes or the like that would be less likely to end with vinegar or some other wine unhappiness that would require me to develop an understanding of making wine from scratch? Keep in mind of course I want "almost gauranteed excellent results " :) I like big reds to whites...

TIA

should I make a couple more kits? I don't need much encouragement to call George to see if the Meglioli Amarone is still available

Paulc

Last edited:
This time of year you will not find wine grapes. My suggestion is talk to george. Depending on where you live wine grapes will be here from Chile in April. But most seem to only have chilean Wine juice.
The limited Editions can not be found as wine from scratch. I would go for the Amarone. Keep in mind Amarone needs aging. Plan on bulk aging for 6-12 months and 3-4 years in bottle.

Do a Google search for Brehm frozen must. See what is left and if you are willing to pay the prices. Rather than focus on the variety, look for a grape with 22-24 brix, 3.3-3.6 pH, and TA 6-7. Something like that would basically make itself.

I would vote for ordering one of those great kits from George and make that for a winter project. Study up and make a wine from grapes or juice next fall when they come into season. They are a whole new process, and you can spend a bit more time honing your basic skills.

Sorry, but George who are you talking about? Is it the Wine maker's toy store George?
Thanks

I bought my juice from the local vineyard. They added the yeast. I just added sugar and let it do its thing. It has been over 6 months in the carboy now and I have did some taste testing with friends. All 5 carboys are VERY GOOD! Couple more months and I think I will bottle it. They are also clearing very nicely on their own.

All I did was add sugar and I racked once. I may rack one more time. There is people around here that don't even rack it. They just add sugar, wait 8-9 months, then bottle.

For those of us that don't have access to fresh grapes... Walkers Fruit has many varieties of juice all times of the year. I can't wait to get my first batch next week... then when we head to NY, we can stop and pick up more in person!

Debbie

I would think in Milwaukee or Chicago they might... no where near me! I can't even find basic supplies when I want them! I order mostly online.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back