Grape skin packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
Anyone know what happened? it seems that we're being programmed into a 1-2 year cycle for kit makers, not really making a wine that would peak after 5+ years.

I, for one, would like to see the grape packs return. My Cab Sav would be better with a little bite going on.

My understanding is that Cellar Craft discontinued the grape skin packs because they felt they were costing them business in their kits. Probably what was happening was people were buying other suppliers' kits and using a Cellar Craft grape pack, so they feel they lost the kit sale.

I and others are planning to make some up next fall (or sooner if we can get a few lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes) and vacuum pack or freeze them.

Rocky, I still like the "dehydrating option! I might even get some Malbec grapes for that purpose!

You guys in the mid west that can get your hands on Chilean grapes, this is your best option until next Fall. Buy a lug of what you need and just freeze it as is in gallon bags. Add one to each kit you make without a grape pack.

I think if you have the dehydrator that would be awesome to save lots of space!

Last edited:
Mike/Wade, would anything be lost in dehydrating vs. freezing, in your opinions? Also, if we froze the grape would it hurt to cook them down (concentrate them) before adding them? I would be trying to increase the body and depth of the flavor.

I dont think either would hurt anything. Freezing is what most people want to do but freezing a few lugs would take up a whole frezer in a heart beat. Some of the RJS kits include dehydrated grape packs instead of the bucket of wet ones and they did a great job IMO!

Or maybe the better question is simply

What alternative do we have without the skins? Everything is a Merlot? lol

Ok here's another thought. Would adding dehydrated cherries to the must add body AND a slight cherry flavor? Don't want a cherry flavored wine per-say but more of a hint of it.

Making a dehydrator is easy too, light bulbs, a computer fan and screen racks is about all it takes. It does reduce volume considerably and is great for fruit snacks as well. I'd recommend a metal enclosure to be on the safe side but we had one for many years made of wood and it worked nicely.

I'm a little confused, why would Cellar Craft still be advertising grape packs if they don't have them any more ... ? -----> Link

Oh, that's rather daft in the year 2012 ... but I believe you.

I'm a little confused, why would Cellar Craft still be advertising grape packs if they don't have them any more ... ? -----> Link
timber...yes you probably are a little confused. There is no sign of Cellar Craft kits that contain grape packs being discontinued (ie the kits you linked to should still be available). What has been dropped is the sale of the grape packs as an independent product.

Steve

My LBS just brought in some grape skin packs to see how they sell. He has them priced at $18 for 2.5kg. i haven't tried them yet and neither has he

the supplier is advintage out of quebec but I cant seem to find any info on the web, here is a description that I did find on a LHBS site

Fior D'uva crushed grape pack is a 2.5Kg, 100% all natural product that can enhance any red wine kits' aromas, body and structure. Produced exclusively for Advintage Distribution, each pack contains whole crushed grapes including the juice, skins, seeds and other solids which will deliver to any wine their specific varietal character. Available styles include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Siraz. Any ordinary red wine could turn into an extraordinary wine with real varietal character, richer body and flavour by adding Fior D'uva crushed grape pack during the maceration process

perhaps this might work for those looking to replace the cellar craft discontinued packs

cheers

Hopefully this is the replacement for those of you who use em. I myself just buy the kit that includes them.

Based on this thread I just bought the Cellar Craft Barbera with skins. The kit was opened at the store and the labels were looted :( but I don't really care. I think it's a limited run kit... and quite popular.

Back