Varietal days to ripeness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperjack59

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello- I’m looking for some sort of chart that shows average days to ripeness for the various grape varietals. Obviously it can vary from year to year but would still be a nice baseline. Somewhere I saw a reference for cab sav at 180 days from bud break. Would like to see something similar for Syrah/zin/Sangiovese etc. Does anyone know of a good reference? Thanks.

Hello- I’m looking for some sort of chart that shows average days to ripeness for the various grape varietals. Obviously it can vary from year to year but would still be a nice baseline. Somewhere I saw a reference for cab sav at 180 days from bud break. Would like to see something similar for Syrah/zin/Sangiovese etc. Does anyone know of a good reference? Thanks.
That would be dependent on your local climate, but I get your point. The chart you are looking for would likely have grapes listed by growing degree days needed to reach maturity. I’m sure I’ve seen that for northern hybrids but I can’t remember where.

ETA. I would check with the nearest university that has a viticulture program.

Two directions for what you want;
* with Plochert / Minnesota hybrids they put out data on when the variety ripens and this is then part of the write up which gets used for selling by the nursery. Check with the nursery who sold the vines. This may be stated as “two weeks later than Marquette”
* I have started to put anniversaries of pick dates & crop on the smart phone calendar to warn the wife about bad vacation dates. Growers in your county have records of what they picked and sugar/ TA/ pH/ weight. Ask.

A side note, we have different pick goals. Example I can grow Briana for maximum sugar and then have foxy flavor. I can watch for wasp damage/ the crop going down hill. I could say flavor is better less bitter if I pick early. In the old days I could look at labor and say this block gets done X1 calendar day and that block X2 date. We have a roughly two week window of what is OK.

Latest posts

Back