Grape press questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get either grapes or frozen must here locally. They will crush & de-stem. I want to make the jump from kits but I'm not ready to buy a press. I'm only interested in making 5 or so gallons now. Can I cheat or improvise on pressing? Also, what else do I need? Can I use extra 6 gal buckets for my primary fermenter? I thought I read Wade talking about using a bucket with holes drilled on the bottom and a wood press. Anyone with ideas or past experiences?

Since you have such a small amount. Go to Home Depot and buy a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. You can press them by hand in this bag over a bucket.

You can take a bucket and drill holes in it and cut a pce of wood to fit the interior of it and use that. You can use many buckets to hold the juice and then transfer all these to carboys at the appropriate time. You could also ask me nicely to use mine and ill meat you at Dunkin Donuts in Shelton.:) Mines to big time press but it will work and if it breaks, I guess Ill have to make it better! You can borrow it no problem Mark!

Without a press make 8 gallons and just work with the 5+ gallons of free run and hand press the rest with a bag. You should end up with just over 5 gallons.

More importantly, you'll need acid testing stuff, ph testing stuff, tartaric acid, possibly mlf culture, yeast, nutrient, etc.

Optionally, you'll also want pectic enzyme, opti-red, tancor and tancor-grand cru.

All other regular kit stuff still applies as well. I'd also go with a 10 gallon fermentor as a minimum.

I would have said what Dean told you. A single small batch isn't hard to do without the press. You will lose just a bit, but not a lot.

Wade has a good deal there for you. You would be hard pressed to beat that deal- donuts and a press- what a deal.

Thanks Wade. That is very generous. I'm not really the borrowing type , though I may try your bucket deal. If I don't press the grapes completely, will I lose a lot of flavor and sweetness ?

You ferment on the skins and then press when almost complete. The sugars from the grapes get eaten up by the yeast. When you press hard, you will get all the remaining juice out of the grape skins and pulp.

Unless it's a white. Then you crush and press immediately. Soaking a white on skins is not good.

Latest posts

Back