got the gas..................again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the same bottle sanitizing routine you do, and don't seem to have a problem. Any gas formation probably happens while the bottle is draining, and is pushed out by the wine as it fills the bottle.

you know, interestingly, i have just opened up a bottle of my MM Rennaissance Cabernet and also a bottle of MM All Juice Merlot, both of which I made in June and July of last year. Within 10 minutes, they have no gas and are flat! A month ago, these same wines when I opened took an hour or more to degass in the decanter.

I definitely think my problem has been compounded by the late addition of k-meta right at bottling time. I have a plan to fix that for future wines.

Isn't it interesting though, that it appears that some bottles within the same batch have more gas in them then others? It implies to me that the sulfate gas was not homogeneous in the bottling bucket when I bottled. I have only opened a few bottles of each so far however, so I'll have to see what the future holds.

just thought I'd share my experience so far. BTW, both wines are EXCELLENT. I especially like the rennaissance cabernet. Believe it or not, it has more color and body then the All Juice Merlot! Not taking anything away from the merlot, b/c it is great as well, but the Rennaissance Cab is stealing the show :)

Latest posts

Back