Quantcast

WineXpert Got my first Riesling kit yesterday

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
try to ferment in cool area ith ambient about 60-65deg F. helps keep in aromatics. first let it start and normal temp then cool down to desired temp will take longer to ferment but it will be better wine.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone do any mods on this one or just let it rip? It’ll be a few weeks before I can start it due to carboy space.

View attachment 53054
I'm actually starting this same kit either Sunday or early next week. I'm planning on fermenting it at 60 degrees ambient temp. I'll also be starting a Eclipse Marlborough Sauv Blanc, an En Primeur Pinot Grigio and my recently purchased CC Amarone (I read somewhere to ferment the Amarone at a lower temp). Looking for ideas also if anyone wants to pass them on...

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
The Sauvignon Blanc is pretty excellent by simply following the instructions (but excluding the EC-1118). Some suggest adding a little grapefruit zest to the secondary, or tartaric acid to give it a bit more zing.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
If you can get colder then 60 go for it, currently doing a Gerwurtz, 24hrs at 72 to let the yeast start then racked to carboy and into the cellar at 50. It has been chugging away for 4 weeks a bubble every minute or so. Will check sg this weekend but suspect 2-3 more weeks to ferment dry.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
try to ferment in cool area ith ambient about 60-65deg F. helps keep in aromatics. first let it start and normal temp then cool down to desired temp will take longer to ferment but it will be better wine.
I just opened up my kit - comes with K1V-1116 - is there a better yeast choice?

Boatboy24

Reaction score
I just opened up my kit - comes with K1V-1116 - is there a better yeast choice?
When I've made it, I use the K1V and leave out the EC1118. I do like QA23 though, and have used it on other white wines.

cooknhogz

Reaction score
Boatboy24, how is the Riesling coming along? I’m a huge Riesling fan and was thinking about ordering this kit soon. Being still winter it be a perfect time to start this kit.

Boatboy24

Reaction score
Boatboy24, how is the Riesling coming along? I’m a huge Riesling fan and was thinking about ordering this kit soon. Being still winter it be a perfect time to start this kit.
Haven't started it yet. I've got some carboys to empty first.