Gooseberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I racked my gooseberry last nite and had about a pint left over. I started out with a 5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug. I had tasted it along and it seemed pretty good, a little dull but okay. Today I tasted the the pint and
it has a vinagar taste. I still have a 5 gallon carboy setting there trying to clear, I had added bentonite to it about 3 or 4 days ago. I haven't tasted the 5 gallon carboy, but it's probably the same, the only difference is the pint was in the refrigeraton and cold. If the 5 gallons tasted the same way, is it time to dump it or can anything be done to save it. Also, what causes it to go to vinagar?

Thanks

Semper Fi

I read on another site that you could add campden and that would drive the vinegar out? What say you?

Semper Fi

Hmmm..... If it's truly turned to vinegar, I think your stuck. I wouldn't assume the whole batch is bad until you test it all. A quick and easy way is to get a drinking straw and dip it into the carboy, put your finger over the end of the straw so that when you lift the straw out of the wine, you'll have a small taste held in the straw. See if your problem is with the whole batch. It is possible that the pint bottle you used was contaminated and the rest of the batch is fine.

Hmmm..... If it's truly turned to vinegar, I think your stuck. I wouldn't assume the whole batch is bad until you test it all. A quick and easy way is to get a drinking straw and dip it into the carboy, put your finger over the end of the straw so that when you lift the straw out of the wine, you'll have a small taste held in the straw. See if your problem is with the whole batch. It is possible that the pint bottle you used was contaminated and the rest of the batch is fine.

What you have written in your post is right and there may be the chances contamination.

Last nite I checked the 5 gallon batch, it seems okay. The one I sampled was in a sealed fruit jar in the refrigerator, and only about half full. I think it's okay. But, does Gooseberry have a flat, dull taste? I think it alright, but has that flat and dull taste.

Thanks for the help

Semper Fi

Even if your wine does go to vinegar that is no reason to dump it. I would let it go and see how the vinegar tastes when it is done. You might have a really good product there.
I turn some of my wine into vinegar and it seems that I can't make it fast enough. Everyone wants some as it tastes better than the commercial vinegars.

Last nite I checked the 5 gallon batch, it seems okay. The one I sampled was in a sealed fruit jar in the refrigerator, and only about half full. I think it's okay. But, does Gooseberry have a flat, dull taste? I think it alright, but has that flat and dull taste.

Thanks for the help

Semper Fi

I find that gooseberries have a wide flavor range, even ones taken from the same plant. I try to pick mine while they're still a little green because I think they taste best when a little tart. I use them to make jams, pies, wine, and deserts. When tart, they're as sour as rhubarb with a slightly different flavor. If I let mine get dark purple, I don't think they taste nearly as good; they have a higher sugar content, but take on a more "earthy" flavor.

I just checked by Gooseberry and Blackberry, both are 5 gallons. Both have a
vinegar taste. I haven't been making wine long, but this is the 10th and 11th batch I have made and all the others didn't have a hint of vinegar, was it beginners luck or am I doing something wrong. I have a 5 gallon bucket of water with 5 campden tables mashed up in it and I sanitize everything. I only dip what I'm using in the bucket, is that good enuf ? I may not be careful enuf with keeping it away from air, I'm having a hard learning how to rack. What caused vinegar to be soo noticeable now. Tell me if I could be doing something wrong and what causes the strong vinegar taste.

Thanks for any advice

Semper Fi

If I am reading your last post correctly, You are using a 5 gallon bucket filled with water to which you added 5 campden tablets as your sanitizing solution.
This level of sulfite is good to protect wine from microbes because the microbes would be in constant contact with the sulfite but it is not nearly a strong enough solution to sterilize equipment that will only come into contact with this solution for a short period of time. You should get some k-meta in powder form, it will say on the label how much you should add to make one gallon of sanitizing solution.
Also, you should store your solution in an airtight container. An open container will allow the sulfur to diffuse out of the water and you will not have anything left to act as a sanitizer.

Oh yeah, your way off as a sanitizing solution!!!! Its 3 tbsl per gallon to make a sanitizing solutio which works out to be around 80 ttablets per gallon of water. 1 campden tablet per gallon is the correct amount for adding to wine to prevent oxidation after fermentation or for holding off wild yeast from starting to ferment until your wine yeast which has a much stronger toerance to sulfites can start up and ferment your wine.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I guess I was just lucky on the others. I'll get k-met Monday.

Semper Fi my friends

Latest posts

Back