Gooseberry wine - very basic one

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santosh_Rego

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Thought that I'd share a picture and recipe of a very basic gooseberry wine that I just made. As Indian palettes like it sweet rather than dry, some of you may find the sugar content too much. Anyways, here goes:
Ingredients:1) Gooseberry - 1 kg 2) Sugar- 1kg 3) Raisins – ¼ kg 4) Cinnamon powder – ¼ teaspoon 5) Nutmeg Powder – ½ Teaspoon 6) Boiled and cooled water – 1 liter 7) Yeast 1 tsp

Preparation:

1) Clean berries and wash several times removing all dirt. Spread on a kitchen towel till dry. Crush them lightly and put in the primary fermenter.
2) Chop up the raisins and add to the primary fermenter along with the sugar, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and water.
3) Prepare the yeast starter and add to the primary fermenter.
4) For the next 21 days, stir the mixture for a few minutes every day with a wooden ladle.
5) On the 22nd day strain the mixture with a dry muslin cloth and put in a secondary fermenter.
6) Crush the berries and raisin mixture and extract all the juice from them and add to the secondary fermenter.
7) Caramelize this mixture by making burnt sugar syrup. This is done by melting sugar in a wok and getting it into a dark brown/black color. Add this to the secondary fermenter.
8) Seal the secondary fermenter and let it sit for another 3 weeks.
9) Bottle the wine into bottles leaving out the sediment.

The taste is kinda tangy + sweet. Hopefully, the sweetness will reduce over time and make it more well rounded.

Looking forward to your comments.

Gooseberry wine.jpg

Made a new batch of Gooseberry wine. Came out much better than the first batch but am unable to understand why since I followed the recipe the exact same way - Go figure. The colour was better - like a single malt. Got good reviews from my friends who tasted it.

Back