Good Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur with CP's post. I have approx. 15 maybe more wineries here in Ct. and although none really seem to make a good red wine they do produce some very nice white wines and fruit wines. Im sure there must be some wineries where you live, where ever that would be!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always enjoyed dry red wines. I become a bit more selective with whites, but agree its all taste for the individual.

I took some "young" wine to family for Christmas and they thought it was excellent... I thought it was "not very good - yet". Oh well... cheers and have fun!

cpfan, are you close to "Niagara on the Lake"? We did the tour there long ago, and I wasn't disappointed for something so close to home (only 700 miles away! LOL). To be honest, for quality I enjoyed our Okanagan Valley run better, but perhaps because the type of wines offered were more to my taste at the time.

Many, many years ago a group of us friends got pretty drunk from a case of wine bought from a tour at Pelee Island Winery. It was good wine. I remember waking up on the sand on the southern tip of the island as the sun was coming up. Ha ha.

There are some REALLY good wineries that have opened up in Niagara in the past few years. Some of the small boutique wineries are producing phenomenal stuff... not cheap, but then it's an expensive region to make wine in. A few of the best wineries in the Beamsville area are Tawse, Hidden Bench, Creekside and Flat Rock Cellars. In the Niagara-on-the-Lake area, my picks would be Lailey Vineyards, Stratus, Southbrook and Coyotes' Run.

It's an exciting region that's definitely worth a visit.

Skyhawk:

Let's put it this way, when Purolator leaves a note on my door, I have to go to Niagara-on-the-Lake to pick up the parcel.

There are a lot of good wineries in the Okanagan. Quails Gate used to be my favourite, but a change in winemaker seemed to change my mind. The Trebbiano from Hester Creek was great a couple of years ago, but I don't know their other products. Tinhorn Creek is great. Wild Goose Gewurztraminer & Riesling is very good. But most of those wines aren't found outside of BC.

Manimal:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I keep saying I'm going to visit some of the wineries, but just haven't. A perennial fave for us has been Reif. Want to re-visit the grandfather (or whatever) of good Canadian wines, ie Inniskillin. Also want to visit Peller Estates, even if it's only because they are part of the Winexpert/Vineco/WineKitz conglomerate. All of these in the N-o-t-L area.

Then there's Twenty Bees, Dan Akroyd, Wayne Gretzky, and some others to try.

Steve

Back