Good way to test free SO2?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswaddling

Junior
Reaction score
I've been reading on this forum about managing sulphite levels - especially during bulk aging - and there seems to be a consensus that it's best to measure them rather than adding some arbitrary amount at time intervals. But, the Accuvin test kits get a lot of criticism for how hard it is to read their color scales. The only alternative I've found is a Chemetrics titrates kit, which I can't find much written about at all. Any suggestions for a relative beginner to monitor SO2 levels? :a1

Titrates are what I use.

Some have said that they are rather difficult to use. Because they are a vacume container that "sucks" the sample wine in, you need to be careful or you could suck in too much wine. For a beginner, you may need to repeat the test a couple of times untill you get used to it.

I think you mean Titrets®. They do an ok job of measuring SO2 and are rather easy to use for the home winemaker. If you want to step up a bit look at a Vinmetrica unit.

I think you mean Titrets®. They do an ok job of measuring SO2 and are rather easy to use for the home winemaker. If you want to step up a bit look at a Vinmetrica unit.

Yep, the Vinmetrica 300 will measure free SO2, acid levels and pH. It's a great investment for the serious home wine maker.

Back