Testing Free SO2 in Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Martin

Reaction score
First off I should let you know these are my first wine kits, they are 18L Malbec kit with skins and the Pink Moscato kit. I have been brewing Beer and Cider for about 2 years.

My question is how do people here test for free SO2 in red wine kits. Or is it kind of the standard 1/4 tsp at each racking I have read during searching for my answer.

I have 2 red kit wines that I am going to be transferring one last time to age in the 6 gallon carboy for 6-8 months or so before bottling. These are both WE kits I have seen those test strips but they only recommend them for dry wine wines.

I am currently looking at the Aeration-Oxidation Free SO2 test kits.

Yep. When in doubt- go 1/4tsp per 6 gal every 3 months is generally the accepted ‘unofficial’ rule of thumb when lacking testing equipment. Personally I think that’s erring waaay on the side of caution— but will surely keep you out of the woods.
Accurate So2 testing ain’t cheap tho. Accuvin strips are available. Never used em and haven’t heard many who do.
The AO method you said seems like the 2nd best option for accuracy from what I’ve read- with the sc100 vinmetrica being top dog.

I posted this recently as an easy and affordable suggestion for So2 testing. The $20 titrets (for x10 tests)

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/index.php?threads/Cheaply-testing-so2.66043/

Latest posts

Back