Good ports to start on?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianSmith

Young Wine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm big on the wine scene, but when it comes to port i'm still learning, in fact, i wouldn't say i've even "begun". I'm really interested in trying a nice easy going port that someone new to the game would enjoy and be able to start training their palate with.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

Do you mean to make or store bought. If you mean store bought Grahams Six Grapes or Fonseca Bin 27 are both good to start with.

From the store would be ideal for now, thank you Thig, I'll look out for those two and report back when I have a taste :)

Another nice one to try early is Quinta do Noval Black, also known as Noval Black. If you want to try a tawny port, which has a nutty flavor, try Hardy's Whiskers Blake. The tawny ports taste nothing like the reserve or vintage port and may be more of an acquired taste.

If you are really interested in Port you need to go over to FTLOP (For the love of port). Roy Hersch is the originator of that forum. He is an expert on port and the guys over there are very nice.

Penfolds Tawny is a really good one, sooo many to try!!

Back