WineXpert Going For A New Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
OK..so all who really know me have an understanding of my desire to experiment with making wines. Here is my latest planned concotion and am open for suggestions /comments/advice.

This will be a 6 gallon batch with the primary ingrediant being:

wss_lg.jpg

The Wine Expert Seletion Speciale Port Kit.
To this I will be adding 1/2 can Vinters harvest Blackberry and 1/2 Can Vinters harvest Black Currant.
Will boil up 4 lbs ripe bananas and 8 oz dried elderberries to add to the mix and add sugar to bring starting SG to 1.120 or thereabouts.
For my yeast, I plan on using the yeast provided with the Port kit and depending on how it finishes I will add Everclear to bring my ABV to 18%.
Will bulk age it using Heavy toast French oak.

I can't wait to hear how this goes for you. I want to do something similar using cherries and chocolate.
VC

I might have to make a pilgrimage to Arkansas in the near future to visit the foothills.....
smiley1.gif

Good 1 Rich! Waldo, that just sounds like it couldnt get any better, maybe a little Light Malt extract?

appleman said:
And what are the current plans for the rest of the half cans Waldo- dessert?

smiley4.gif
They will be used to make a3 gallon batch Black Currant/Blackberry blend.

JWMINNESOTA said:
Id go with Bulgarian oak.
smiley1.gif

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
You not gonna let me forget that one are ya JW
smiley36.gif

wade said:
Good 1 Rich! Waldo, that just sounds like it couldnt get any better, maybe a little Light Malt extract?

Excellent idea Wade...Thanks
What would you recommend

gaudet said:
I might have to make a pilgrimage to Arkansas in the near future to visit the foothills.....
smiley1.gif

Come on up buddy !!! Maybe you could make it up this wayin Sept and join me at Scottys shindig down on Lake DeGray. A great bunch of folks they are

<table ="maintable" align="center" ="#ffffcc" border="2" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" height="100%"><t><tr><td width="10%">1802A </td>
<td width="10%">
%5Cimages%5C1802A_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="50%">

Plain, Light Spray, Dried Malt Extract, 1 lb.
</td>
<td width="10%">Muntons</td>
<td width="10%">$4.99</td></tr></t></table>

Waldo said:
appleman said:
And what are the current plans for the rest of the half cans Waldo- dessert?

smiley4.gif
They will be used to make a3 gallon batch Black Currant/Blackberry blend.

Great game plan Waldo. And you can use some Bulgarian Oak and Malt extract both in it! I love you recipes you come up with. Look out Jack Keller!!!
smiley4.gif

Thanks wade
I'll give George a call today and get him to add this to the rest of my order that supposed to ship Friday

Waldo, let me check my fridge at home. I think I might have enoughlight malt extract left over from an extract cream ale I made earlier this year, that you can use.

No problem. Guess I could always try my hand at a port of my own if I don't throw it in a batch of beer.

Latest posts

Back