WineXpert Going For A New Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for the ol' lab coat, goggles and gloves! whahahahaha!!!!
smiley34.gif

The Cast of characters have been assembled for my Port;

IMG_3708.jpg

Will start this in the morning by cutting up and boiling my bananas and elderberries. While they are steeping and cooling I will mix the Black Currant & Blackberry. Will treat this with sulphite, add my juice from the bananas and elderberries and the light malt extract and let it set until late tomorrow evening at which time I will giveit a dose of pectic enzyme and let it rest until Sunday morning. Will add the Port kit to the mix at that time and go from there........stay tuned for further developments !!

Looking good Waldo, im just as interested in the Black Currant/ Blackberry blend, hope you make a post on that one as well.

If I look to the north and see a bright exploding ball of light I'll know you've started the kit......

Looks to be really good Waldo.....

Well, for better or worse, my Port had the yeast pitched to about 20 minutes ago.
I began late friday night by cutting up and boiling my bananas and elderberries

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

While they were cooking, I disolved about 2 tbsp of my Bentonite along with the pack of Bentonite that came wit the Port kit andadded this to my primary fermenter.
IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

I then opened my Black Currant and Blackgerry and added 1/2 can of the Black Currant to my primary. The Blackberry was more of a challenge as it has berries in it. I strained off the juice using a sanitized knee high panty hose and added the juice only to the primary with the Black Currant.
I then dissolved 3/8 tsp K-Meta and added to my must along with 3 tsp of Acid Blend, 4 tsp Yeast Nutrient and 1 tsp yeast energizer.

IMG_3720.jpg

Gave this a good srtirring and decded to go ahead and dissolve my Malt extract with the Bananas and Elderberries

IMG_3713.jpg

After I was satisfied the malt extract was dissolved I strained off the pulp from the bananas and elderberries and added the juice to my primary. I then dissolved4 lbs sugar in hot water and added to my primary. Might mention here that I am quick cooling all this by filling a zip loc bag with ice cubes and adding to the mixtures to cool it down before I add to my primary.
Gave all this a good stirring and checking my SG I was right at 1.092 with a must tempof 80 degrees.

IMG_3721.jpg

It was now time to let this rest before I added my Pectic Enzyme so I went ahead and bottled my Muscadine Port

IMG_3722.jpg

After drinking that glass I wasn't sure if I was justgetting up or just getting ready to go to bed
smiley36.gif

OK..OK...fast forward this to this morning....I added the Port juice to my must, giving it a thourough stirring

IMG_3724.jpg

Checked my SG and I was at 1.120. A little below the target on the Port instructions but close enough for me as the kit also has a pack of dextrose for chaptalizing later on.
I then added the oak pack to the must

IMG_3725.jpg

Stirred that in and pitched the yeast to it which by the way was 2 packets of Red Star Premièr Cuvée.

IMG_3726.jpg

Its time now to go and sanitize another primary and get that Blackberry/Black Currant blend going.
Oh yes, I might add here that I have the banana/elderberry pulp in a strainer bag ( panty hose ) as well as the Blackberries and the 1/2 can of Currant juice all waiting patiently (and sulphited) for me.

Slobbering over here Waldo......

You gonna make me lose my religion on a Sunday Morning.....
smiley32.gif

Wipe that slobber off yer mouth gaudet...good gawd man that sight would make me lose more than my religion
smiley36.gif

Doors are locked wade and the magnum is loaded with "00".s
She has already got a mighty strong fermentation going and smells just awesome !! That Premièr Cuvée wasn't kidding...its was hungry !!
smiley4.gif

IMG_3730.jpg

Designed the label for this one this evening and added a memorial to NW to it. Sure going to miss that lady.

waldosportlabel.jpg

At an SG of 1.010 and a must temp of 76 degrees I completed the chaptalizing stage of my Port this morning

At an endingSG of 1.005, and ABV of around 15 % I stabilized my Port with K-Meta and Sorbate and added the "F" pack that came with the kit I used in this batch.
IMG_3732.jpg

I then began the degasssing stage using the carboy cap and a vacu-vin stopper and pump.

IMG_3733.jpg

After about 2 minutes of degassing using this method I remembered the little vacumn pump for zip loc bags and thought to myself, the head on that I believe is about the same size as the opening or top of the vacu vin stopper so I fetched it and sure enough. It was a perfect fit. It worked fantastic folks. A new method of degassing your wines can be seen in this short video I made of the process in action. Just click on the picture and it should open a link to the video.

You know Waldo, what a great way to pay tribute to a wonderful woman than create a wine label for NW. I am going to make one for her also.

Looking good there buddy. Glad I have a vacuum pump already as I also have one of those and Id be in big trouble if I was caught using her seal a bag tool!
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back