WineXpert Going For A New Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uavwmn said:
You know Waldo, what a great way to pay tribute to a wonderful woman than create a wine label for NW. I am going to make one for her also.

Thanks uav...We are sure going to miss that lady

I'm one of those that uses the vacuvin hand pump on the carboys for degassing. I'm really intrigued about the electric vacuum pump you're using. What exactly is this model that fits so well? I think I need one! :)

Swede, Look in your grocery section where they sell the Zip-Loc bags. It comes with their new line that allows you to vzcum seal your foods. It comes free with their starter box

Waldo, that video has convinced me to go get one today. Looks like it does a pretty good job.

Works great for me uavm.

Racked, stabilized and beging the clearing stage on my Port this weekend. Also racked, stabilized and began clearing on a Green Apple/Riesling and my Black Current/Blackberry blend

IMG_3789.jpg

Looks good Waldo...

Is the green apple a W.E.?

According to that temp. strip..... You need to cool those babies down. haha

Thats not the room temp, thats just because waldo was hugging up on them there carboys!
smiley36.gif

Goodfella said:
Looks good Waldo...

Is the green apple a W.E.?

According to that temp. strip..... You need to cool those babies down. haha

Yep, she is a W.E. Goodfella. That strip got stuck there during a washing with hot water and has never changed again.

smiley2.gif
I do hug my carboys though..you know, hum to them, sing them a song..tell em how much I love em and how much I look forward to their growing up !!! You know !!!
smiley36.gif

Hey Waldo,

Do you put the "Waldo stamp of approval" on that green apple???

I'm thinking about trying one

Well, it was time to bottle the Green Apple yesterday evening, is tasting pretty danged good right now and doubt that once the word gets out that I have bottled it that it will last very long.

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

Also racked my Port and added the oak to it so it will be bulk aged now for about 3 months before bottling. Will be tweaked at that time insofar as boosting ABV and back sweetning.
IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

Hey Waldo,

Whats the clear liquid in those 2 bottles next to the whites?

I need some advise....

Tomorrow I am racked my Bodega Port. I ordered a small barrel from Vadai. (hungarian oak). Should I still use the oak in the kit to get the recommended flavor? I can save the barrel for a later batch.... Or use it for a short period of time after the kit oak.

WWWOWD....... WHAT WOULD WALDO OR WADE DO?????

Those 2 bottle are Green Apple too..just the way the picture turned out made tem look clearer.
If you are going to barrel it I would not use the oak in the kit.

Do you think the hungarian oak or the kit oak would be a better match for a Port?

I used both in this batch Goodfella. As the kit was only a 3 gallon and I added all my goodies which bumped it to 6 gallon I used the oak powder provided in the kit during fermentation and have now added the Hungarian oak to bulk age. I could not discern much oakiness after fermentation either so i imagine the addition of the ingrediants added to make it a 6 gallon batch pretty much diluted the oakiness i would have had with just a 3 gallon batch........dang......did all that make any sense?

I'm not Waldo or Wade, but a little old appleman would use the barrel to at least start it off. Just check it after a month or so and see if it has enough oak. A true port would sit in a barrel for years, but even months in a new oak barrel of 5 or 6 gallons would be too much.

Appleman.....

I would have used your name too..... It just wouldn't have fit in to that whole WWWWWWW thing!!! HAHA

But seriously, your opinion is certainly one that I will listen to!!!

Thanks....

Sounds good guys, I'm gonna keep rollin on this one.

Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back