Glycerin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Can someone teach me about Glycerin?
When to use it,
How much to use,
What does it change
Thanks

Can someone teach me about Glycerin?
When to use it,
How much to use,
What does it change
Thanks

I don’t know that I can “teach” you about it, but will be happy to tell you what I’ve read about it. Firstly, glycerol is produced during fermentation, in different quantities, based upon the must, fermentation kinetics, and yeast selection, so it’s not a foreign substance in winemaking.

I can’t tell you that the glycerol produced by fermentation is exactly the same as the glycerine you can buy and add, but their effects on wine appear to be similar.

It’s a clear, odorless, tasteless liquid, but is viscous. The addition of glycerine is purported to slightly increase the perception of sweetness in wine, thus helping to reveal some of the underlying fruit flavors. It also is purported to have the effects of increasing mouthfeel, rounding out some of the harsh flavors in younger wines, and making the wine smoother and more velvety. It also makes the legs better, if that’s important to you. It can be used in either red or white wines. I’ve read that over application can lead to a metallic taste in wine, so go easy if you try it.

Personally, I can’t share any experiences with the product, as a bit of a snob and purist, I’ve never put any in my wine, but that’s a personal choice.

it does increase the sweetness of the wine and thus useful to create a balance in wine that is to acidic or alcoholic. bench trials is the best method to determine amount.

Back