Glass VS Plastic Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,

Now for my $.02.

In summing above, The benefit of plastic is that they are unbreakable. That it is not just the money...

How about using Stainless steel Corney kegs. My pal knows of a site where you can get them for about $30.00 (free shipping). This will eliminate the "breakable" issue, while also eliminating any issues you may have with plastics.

(Just thought I put that out there).

I'm interested in checking this out; could you help us out with a link to this site please sir?

I've got both, glass and plastic. Have to say, the BB plastic are much easier to work with but they do have limitations like degassing techniques.

The plastic 4 gallon bottles at Sams Club are made out of the exact same plastic as the BB, for a fraction of the cost. I really wish I had looked at these closer before I invested in 5 of the 6 gallon BB's. I would have save a bunch because I would have bought only the water bottles.

I think for every person you ask, your going to get a different thought about what is right and what is wrong to use. Here's my two cents. Try them both, pick out what you like and use it. Neither is right and neither is wrong. They both work fine.

The plastic 4 gallon bottles at Sams Club are made out of the exact same plastic as the BB, for a fraction of the cost. I really wish I had looked at these closer before I invested in 5 of the 6 gallon BB's. I would have save a bunch because I would have bought only the water bottles.

Water bottles? Gotta check that out!

The plastic 4 gallon bottles at Sams Club are made out of the exact same plastic as the BB, for a fraction of the cost.
NOT the EXACT same plastic. Yes, they are both PET plastic, but better bottles are a very specific type of PET that is designed for wine making. The water bottles are not. Just feel the two bottles, much different.

There are thousands (if not millions) of formulations of PET plastic.

Steve

NOT the EXACT same plastic. Yes, they are both PET plastic, but better bottles are a very specific type of PET that is designed for wine making. The water bottles are not. Just feel the two bottles, much different.

There are thousands (if not millions) of formulations of PET plastic.

Steve

Both are PET 1 bottles and they don't feel any different when comparing the two to me. The only difference I can see is one is clear (BB) and the other is blue tinted. I looked again to be sure. The both have the same information on the bottle. If there is a difference, aren't they required to post it on the bottle?

Latest posts

Back