Glass vs better bottle carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
I need to expand my supply of carboys. I live in a city with no homebrew supply shop so I need to ship everything from online vendors. The cost including shipping is much lower for the PET bottles. Can I get some input from those who have used these? Benefits? Drawbacks?

dburling said:
I need to expand my supply of carboys. I live in a city with no homebrew supply shop so I need to ship everything from online vendors. The cost including shipping is much lower for the PET bottles. Can I get some input from those who have used these? Benefits? Drawbacks?

There are a few threads that have discussed this in the past, check those out.

Both have benefits, both have drawbacks. It all comes down to what you want to use and is available. If better bottles are more economical, go that route.

If you ever decide to incorporate a vacuum pump into your wine making setup you will need glass. Yes they cost more and shipping gets into your pocket as well however they are crucial and you need to allow for the added cost. I too live in an area where I have to order everything. I have found if you watch Craigslist you sometimes get lucky in your area. The second suggestion being to watch numerous online sites as they sometimes offer free shipping.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for sales. We can get glass 5 gallons for 30.00 new. Vacuum pump is definitely a glass Carboy need. Glass bottles don't squirt out the top when you pick them up. PET bottles don't crack when 2 are bumped together.

If you can be patient you could get used glass for @15.00
Economy and inexperienced and impatient wine makers are always selling off their gear.

I glass is better IMO. I have 2 better bottles and 2 plastic bottles from the vintagewinshop that I like much better than the better bottles. They have smooth sides and the plastic appears much thicker as it is very ridged and does not push wine out when lifted. I posted a link to then recently.

The glass vs BB-rated carboy is a well-ridden horse, search feature definitely encouraged.

I will chime in that you should keep an eye on Amazon since they usually offer 5-6 gallon glass for $30 free shipping at least twice a year. Caution when buying used glass carboys, inspect for scratches, and ask what was in them, etc. If you have a water bottle distributor servicing/delivering to the area many of them will sell glass carboys to you. If you do go the route of owning a vacuum system you can own a variety of BB-type and minimal glass, it works out just fine. I also like the Vintage Shop carboys more than Better Bottle.

I will always recommend using a glass carboy - due to the fact that I do not have to lift the carboys any more while using a vacuum pump

I am new to this, but already have seen how heavy a 5 gallon carboy is when filled with wine.
Even a plastic 5 gallon is heavy.
If your going to do this a lot, either by an all in one wine pump, are build your own..
Are put your carboys somewhere, that they not needed to be moved.

Jamesngaleston can you refer me to information on building the wine pump you mentioned?

there is lots of videos on vacuuming wine on google.
its actually a pretty easy setup.
hoses,vacuum pump, etc.
if you want to build it yourself.
the all in one pump is for those that cant are do not want..and looks to be the most efficient.

IMO, if your making kits stay away from the 6+ gallon italian glass carboys, avoid over-dilutiing and too much topping up for me. I use both, stabilize kits in PET, then vacuum rack off lees down to a 5 gallon glass, plus a 3 liter glass jug (Carlo Rossi). Bottle the 3 liter down the road and continue to vac/rack to another 5 gallon carboy for bulk ageing. It's interesting to compare the 3 liter batch to the bulk aged batch. Also, I blend the 3 liter batch with other wines. Just be careful with KMS additions to both.

Latest posts

Back