Glass in the must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
I started my #2 (Skeeter Pee... because of all the hype) and I managed to break off the tip of my floating thermometer. (I don't think I'll be using one of these again - at least not a glass one). There's steel shot and glass in the must now. (No red alcohol, luckily).

This seems to be really common in the beer brewers forums, but I haven't seen much mention of it here. Has this happened to you? What did you do? What would you do?

I should be OK just due to gravity. I don't think even high carbonation would keep glass suspended... and cheesecloth or a coffee filter should be more than enough to be safe. If it were expensive must, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it. It's just that this is such a cheap batch of wine!

Personally if I were to keep this batch I would surely filter it.

Yea I would also filter it. (just-N-case)

Wouldn't you be concerned about possible mercury / lead contamination in your batch?

Just wondering myself since it hasn't happen to me yet, I use a thief and then fill the tube for testing just incase it would break though.

Wouldn't you be concerned about possible mercury / lead contamination in your batch?

Just wondering myself since it hasn't happen to me yet, I use a thief and then fill the tube for testing just incase it would break though.

I second this, this is worse than glass.

When in doubt, throw it out.

i didnt think they have used mercury in thermometers for the past 20 years or so.

Unless this is very old I agree I highly doubt it has mercury in it. Its why i didnt say anything about that but then again we do have some people who either used to make wine along time ago or just piocked something like this up some place other then a LHBS so we should take Mercury into considuration. If there is any doubt about Mercury being in there then dump it right now please!

This is what I use...

thermometer.jpg

$39.00 at Harbor Freight

No mercury, but lead to weight the bottom

I wouldn't trust it, some of the lead probably got into the mix. It not likely enough to kill you or do anything but you;d want to avoid it if possible.

Just throw it out, then you don't have to worry about any small shards of glass either.

If it was a 55gal barrel of 1989 Bordeaux, it might be worth saving, for a batch a skeeter pee, toss it.

Last edited:
Stick_on_thermometer_vert_224x360.jpg

I just got a bunch of these and stick them on all my carboys, might have to go get one of those digital ones from harbor freight though! Would be nice for my primaries. What are the ranges on it? what degrees does it start and end at?

I just got a bunch of these and stick them on all my carboys, might have to go get one of those digital ones from harbor freight though! Would be nice for my primaries. What are the ranges on it? what degrees does it start and end at?

The temperature range is from about -4* to 968*. Pointing it at the carboy and taking the temp you are withing about 3*, shooting right into the liquid you are getting an actual temp.

instead of having wine in your glass you have glass in your wine. No big deal if you can try to filter it some how. Glass in your stomach is NOT funny.

Back