Glass carboy with Spigot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennK

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a Glass carboy with Spigot? I use to get a local supplier to put one together for me, but the business changed ownership. I'm in Charlottetown PEI.

I have drilled holes in wine bottles before - I think I would be a little nervous about drilling a carboy

i would like to see that, can u post a pic.

I've been using one for years as my final stage as it makes the bottling stage so simple and clean....

S52.JPG

most glass carboys are not ported...but have an outlet fused to the glass during manufacturing...

Is this plastic or glass ?

Sorry for any confusion on the pic example I used to show someone what I was referring to. It's a glass carboy with a hole fdilled and a spigot installed using a long nut holder gadget to screw the inside portion of the spigot. I've been using one(for years) as my final rack container and thus avoiding the need to use hoses and bottle fillers to complete the bottling stage.

I have searched high and low for this, and I can not find a glass carboy in 3 are 5 gallon size that has a spigot...Period.
Tons of plastic carboys with spigot, none that is glass.
I would buy one in a second if i could.

Another option for you is to go to stainless.

I have searched high and low for this, and I can not find a glass carboy in 3 are 5 gallon size that has a spigot...Period.
Tons of plastic carboys with spigot, none that is glass.
I would buy one in a second if i could.

Another option for you is to go to stainless.
It was custom made by a local dealer....I will check with them tomorrow about getting another one done.

If the issue is simply bottling is there a problem with racking from your glass carboy into a plastic bottling bucket (open) or into a ported BB (plastic) carboy? Obviously if you are using a vacuum to move the wine neither will work, but if you are using gravity then would the length of time it takes to rack into a bottling bucket and the amount of time it takes to bottle from the bucket really expose the wine to enough air to cause perceptible /detrimental oxidation? - I am asking not because I think I know the answer but because I am really curious. And because if the amount of oxidation would be imperceptible (even if you were aging the wine for, say, 3 years), or if perceptible over a long period of time but enhanced the flavors (much like aging in wooden casks) then might a bucket or a plastic ported carboy not be a reasonable option?

Not to be difficult, by why do you want one with a spigot?

I have had a number of them in the past (my local ran out of demis and only had spigotted demis left). I found that they were much more of a pain to deal with. Cleaning is a pain and I had a number of those spigots leak. I ended up selling them and buying the un-spigotted variety.

If the issue is simply bottling is there a problem with racking from your glass carboy into a plastic bottling bucket (open) or into a ported BB (plastic) carboy? Obviously if you are using a vacuum to move the wine neither will work, but if you are using gravity then would the length of time it takes to rack into a bottling bucket and the amount of time it takes to bottle from the bucket really expose the wine to enough air to cause perceptible /detrimental oxidation? - I am asking not because I think I know the answer but because I am really curious. And because if the amount of oxidation would be imperceptible (even if you were aging the wine for, say, 3 years), or if perceptible over a long period of time but enhanced the flavors (much like aging in wooden casks) then might a bucket or a plastic ported carboy not be a reasonable option?

I use 2 glass carboys for my process, one for the primary fermenting and the other (with the spigot) for the final process, which includes the stablizing, clearing and then bottling.

Not to be difficult, by why do you want one with a spigot?

I have had a number of them in the past (my local ran out of demis and only had spigotted demis left). I found that they were much more of a pain to deal with. Cleaning is a pain and I had a number of those spigots leak. I ended up selling them and buying the un-spigotted variety.

I use 2 glass carboys for my process, one for the primary fermenting and the other (with the spigot) for the final process, which includes the stablizing, clearing and then bottling. And have for years without any problems.

Latest posts

Back