Gewürztraminer - Mosti or W.E.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1973

Reaction score
Well, I think my next batch is going to be a Gewürztraminer, as long as I am able to pronounce it :) With the All Juice kits on sale this month I am thinking about doing one of those. Do most people prefer those to the Wine Expert kits? (I'm going on the assumption that 6 gallons or juice will be better than 4 gallons and 2 gallons of water, not to say that I haven't had some great WE kits thought)

I have made the WE Gewürztraminer. It is a nice wine if you let it get some age to loose off flavors. If it were me though, I will always choose an all juice kit if it is available. I have never heard of any kit taste issues with a Mosti product but have experienced it in almost every WE product. I will say that for the majority, the KT has diminished or disappeared in every WE kit except a couple Vintner's Reserve kits. On the average, I don't even touch a WE kit now for a year and a half after making and normally let them go even longer.

I am just now starting to really enjoy the wines I have made since I started around 3 years ago. My problem is that I have such a huge stock of wine that I have had to slow down as I have ran out of room between my wine and my beer obsession. I have well over 1000 bottles in stock and have at least 200 bottles equivalent in carboy's bulk aging. There are so many of the Mosti kits I want to try though.

Be ware when buying a Gewurtz. as some are dry and some have F-packs. If you are looking for a typical sweeter Gewurtz go for the 1 with the F-pack. Mosti and W.E both have them with and without and RJ Spagnols also has 1 without and probably with but the 1 that i made didnt and I wanted it to be sweeter so I had to back sweeten mine by myself.

I guess I didn't realize that the 6 gallon all juice kits also had F-Packs but looking at the descriptions, I do see that now. So does that mean they are a touch more than 6 gallons or is the main juice bag a little less than 6 in this case?
Edited by: Mike1973

With the F-Pack, you make the kit to the normal volume (and the main bag of concentrate is 7.5L, 10L, 15L, or whatever the package says) and then you remove some of the wine at the clarification step and add the F-Pack. You can save the removed wine to top off the batch when you rack off after the clarificiation has done its job

nanook37 said:
With the F-Pack, you make the kit to the normal volume (and the main bag of concentrate is 7.5L, 10L, 15L, or whatever the package says) and then you remove some of the wine at the clarification step and add the F-Pack. You can save the removed wine to top off the batch when you rack off after the clarificiation has done its job

Thanks, that makes sense! I have the same dancing Hobbs avatar on another forum I'm on!

Well, I just ordered up the Mosti kit(from George of course!). I think I am starting a White Merlot with a friend first but I can't wait to get going on this one! Thanks for all the info!
Edited by: Mike1973

Latest posts

Back