Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am truly a newbie here! Anyone have advice for the first thing I should do? Also, best beginners kit? Thanks in advance

Fermenter lid

I have the Midwest Supplies, 6 gallon kit bucket. the lid doesn't screw on it doesn't hammer on. Does it need to be sealed tightly? I can't get the thing to connect... Help please....

Ok, nevermind. my wrists make it hard to do much heavy lifting or work that involves any kind of strenth. Hubby got it on.

Last edited:
If you're planning on using the bucket for secondary also, it would help if it sealed properly. But...if its just for primary (fermenting for the first couple of days) there shouldn't be a problem since Carbon dioxide produced would protect the wort/must.
Anyway, ideally a bucket lid should fit the bucket. I would contact the vendor.

Thank you afsee, actually, it was my weak wrist that was the problem. The lid fits. My hubby got the lid on and yesterday i happened to find a lid remover that will help me tremendously in getting it back off, i looked in there yesterday and when i went to put the lid back on it went on a little easier. It's all good. Thank you.

My first batch

Hey, I'm very new to Winemaking, the decision to start was actually completely an impulse. I started from the very first step, go to the farm I work at, find wild grapes, and pick them. I highly suggest this method by the way. Nothing like knowing exactly where you're food is coming from. You will probably look down on this method, but I'm using a balloon with pinholes in it ontop of a gallon jug for an airlock. I started the process a little more than a week ago, everything went smoothly, the balloon filled up right on schedule and so on. Two days ago I noticed that juice was being pushed up into the balloon, I didn't think anything of it. Today I checked on it again and noticed that the level of juice appears to have gone down, even though there is no evidence of leakage (or my baby brother messing with it!) and the balloon has been sucked into the jug. I haven't done anything with it since I noticed. Anyone have any idea's about whats going on? I'm completely baffled!

I've done the balloon lock method, but normally you wouldn't want liquid getting into it. I suppose the liquid could have evaporated through the rubber since they are permeable.
Next time just try to keep the stuff from bubbling up that much, or leave more space between the must (the juice) and the top of the bottle.
You may not have even need to put a hole in the balloon since its not completely air tight. The gases will eventually leak out however slowly.

Cold Crashing?

hey Im a beginner and Im starting a fruit wine this weekend. But do you cold crash wine? I have a friend that brews beer and he seems to believe I do. And if I do need to is there a way I dont have to?

You never boil wine so I don't see how you could. Unless your talking cold crashing before fermentation its done to keep it sweeter. And still I'd say don't do that and just back sweeten after fermentation.

Hello All!
I'm trying to figure out my measurements here and having a bit of difficulty:
I'm Canadian, so I have 23L/5Gal carboys for the most part. Apparently US gallons are different than UK gallons? So if there is a 'base amount' of honey/sugar to add at 3Lbs/Gallon - which gallon is this? Also, how do I figure out which gallon amount people are referring to?
Sorry, I realize this sounds silly, but some clarification would be helpful :)

Hello All!
I'm trying to figure out my measurements here and having a bit of difficulty:
I'm Canadian, so I have 23L/5Gal carboys for the most part. Apparently US gallons are different than UK gallons? So if there is a 'base amount' of honey/sugar to add at 3Lbs/Gallon - which gallon is this? Also, how do I figure out which gallon amount people are referring to?
Sorry, I realize this sounds silly, but some clarification would be helpful :)
I guess the first question is "where was the recipe you are using published?" If UK or Canada, then it's probably Imperial gallons (4.54 litres), if the US then US gallons (3.78 litres).

BTW, this isn't the proper place to be posting questions. This thread started as an attempt to get folks to provide enough info when asking a question, and has become a potpourri of unconnected beginners questions.

Steve

I guess the first question is "where was the recipe you are using published?" If UK or Canada, then it's probably Imperial gallons (4.54 litres), if the US then US gallons (3.78 litres).

BTW, this isn't the proper place to be posting questions. This thread started as an attempt to get folks to provide enough info when asking a question, and has become a potpourri of unconnected beginners questions.

Steve

Thank you for answering anyways :slp My mistake about the forum.
Ray

Temperature issue and Time question

I received my first kit today (fedex), and I didn't hesitate to start making it. The kit is RJ Spagnols Cru Select BC Meritage. I opened the kit and noticed that the fining agents kieselsol and Chitosan were frozen, I'm not sure if this is an issue, but it should have keyed me in to the problem I am now encountering. I have followed the instructions, along with the video, and have finished adding all of the ingredients as well as water in the primary fermenting bucket. This kit included oak, dried grapes, and dried elderberries. The next step was to take the temperature and insure it was between 70-80 degrees farenheit. The temperature of the must was only 55 degrees. I used warm water when rehydrating, and warm water when adding the bentonite. I think what screwed me was the temperature of the concentrate after shipping. To increase the temperature I have put the primary fermentation bucket in a tub of hot water, and the room temperature is 75 plus. Here are my questions:

1. Is the tub of water going to screw things up? Too late now, but I'm starting to wonder if the spigot is going to allow water in...

2. Is there another way to raise the temp at this point, other than waiting? (I don't have a heater to put on it)

3. If I have to let it adjust to room temperature should I add sulfites to keep it safe while I'm waiting for my must to acclimate?

Thanks

Soaking In the Tub worked out...Got the temp Above 70 degrees...Got a specific gravity of 1.102 and I went ahead and added the yeast. Sorry about the lengthy post, but I hope that somebody can avoid the problem I had....

Thanks

so Just came across this feed and thought I would ask a question. Im working on a apple wine started it tonight. I juiced 33 lbs of apples and got 2 imperial gallons of juice then topped up to 6 imperial gallons of water and put my pulp in a mesh sack and let it sit in the mixed juice with a starting SG of 1.090 did i water it down to much and will i even taste the apple when its done fermenting on the pulp bag and juice/water mixture? I will be pitching my yeast tomorrow around noon my time I want the pectic enzyme to have some time to work on breaking down the pulp more. any answers would be greatly appreciated as I messed up my first batch it was basically alcoholic water lol from diluting it to much during racking and several other mistakes I made as this is only my second attempt. I like to go big or go home so my carboy for secondary fermentation is 23L or 5 Imp. Gallons

Yes i sure did thats were i wanted my starting sugar at :) im just worried bout the level of flavor from dilution a lot of what i read they use 5 gals of stright juiced fruit and well im not gonna buy 500 apples haha.

from what I have been told by my local wine shop this should be okay and fermenting on the apple pulp after using pectic enzyme at the correct interval will help pull and trap all the flavor I need....

I'd be a little concerned that you have too much water in there. But I've never made an apple wine - just peaches, and a few with frozen fruits.

sorry imperial would be U.S. Gals They are 2 metric gals of straight juice pressed and then topped to 4 Metric gals equaling to just over 27.5 litres total Must

We should try to keep this to one thread, I am going nuts trying to keep up with the same questions spread out over three threads...lol, it would make helping you a lot easier for everyone, someone may be giving you advice to a question on this thread, not knowing that someone else might have already answered the same question on a different thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back