Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to decide if I should filter or not. I want to give this wine as gifts to some people for christmas coming up and some of them are a bit, lets say, particular. I fear that any sediment even with time may make them question this wine.
Will filtering at 1 or 0.35 (overkill I know) greatly affect the taste of this kit wine, especially if I sweeten it? Would you guys filter it?

I think you answered your own question already. Yes filter for your own piece of mind. The 1 micron filter is plenty but the .35 would work well also.

Some folks worry about stripping color or taste and yes this can happen to reds on the first couple of bottles. I always pour my first two bottles back into the main batch to blend them in case any sanitizer taste or color loss occurred.

I hope this helps you in your endeavor. Good Luck!

thanks

Thanks runningwolf. There is so much contradictory information about filtering out there. I think most of the negative affects that people rant about are more with reds then whites but it still hard to tell. The last thing I want to do is rob a kit wine of the flavor that it actually has.
So I am going to filter at 0.35microns this white wine. I will try that pouring the first couple bottles back thing. I am going to sweeten it tonight and probably filter bottle in about 2 weeks.
Are you in agreement then that filtering a white even at a low micron level really has a minimal if any affect on its flavor (esp when sweetened).
happy thanksgiving

Like I said earlier I have not noticed a difference. I would wait though at least three weeks before sampling it to make your own determination though due to bottle shock after bottling.

Re-Cork?

First off, per above, I filtered that white wine with the 0.35micron whole house setup and it went great. The small sip I had post filter seemed the same as pre-filter. Once I better saturated the filter with fluid it was wonderful.
My question is, my wine giving for the holidays is more then I was expecting (that or I can't count) and I have 5 bottles left that I need to gift. The problem is my hand corker (yes I know) was "not behaving" and I have 4 bottles were I am not comfortable giving them as a gift since the cork is sticking above the top by a 1/4 inch. I tired to push them down with my palm and that did not work. I know people re-cork old wines but can I recork this newly bottled wine without any significant problems to the wine? My concern was compressing the wine with pressure for a second time in such close succession.

This question doesn't refer to a specific recipe per se, but just something I've wondered for quite a while now.

This is about Oak Chips that some wine kits come with. These wine kits tell you to toss in the Oak Chips into the primary fermentor. The problem I have is you have active yeast in the same container as a wood product. Everyone knows that Yeast will eat the cellulose in the wood and create Methanol. And everyone knows Methanol is poisonous to humans.

So I guess my question is, are these wood chips treated to prevent Methanol from being created?

Taken off of http://www.ehow.com/info_8412008_other-uses-active-dry-yeast.html

"Ethanol

Ethanol production in the United States is primarily used to replace dependence on gasoline. Ethanol is made by the breaking down of organic matter, such as corn or food waste, fermented and filtered. Strains of active dry yeast may be added to metabolize glucose and biosynthesis of polyunsaturated fats and lipids. The draw back to using yeast in ethanol production is that yeast cannot turn wood chips, shavings or sawdust (cellulose) into ethanol."

Ethanol production in the United States is primarily used to replace dependence on gasoline. Ethanol is made by the breaking down of organic matter, such as corn or food waste, fermented and filtered. Strains of active dry yeast may be added to metabolize glucose and biosynthesis of polyunsaturated fats and lipids. The draw back to using yeast in ethanol production is that yeast cannot turn wood chips, shavings or sawdust (cellulose) into ethanol."

I wasn't talking about Ethanol, I was talking about Methanol. The two are completely different. Ethanol you can drink, Methanol you cannot.

Okay, had to do a pretty extensive search to find it and then translate it as I didnt know the answer. Found on Wikipedia
Basically it says that yeast will do so but it would take a real long time unless the cellulose was attacked with strong acids under normal pressures or by a diluted acid and high heat and high pressure.

Oh okay, that makes sense then.. Because I read it in a *******ers guide, and when *******ing you use heat. So okay, I didn't know it needed the heat to make the methanol. Thanks for the insight. It was something I've been wondering for a long time, and haven't really found a definitive answer to it. :b

making a batch of wine and confused about measuring the sugar needed

My recipe calls for 14lb's. But i have a 10 lb bag and I measured 2 cups per lb to make my syrup. I did not use the entire bag. Am i doing something wrong?

Possible Infection?

I've just started using a 5 gallon bucket with a large straining bag for primary. I poured the must (a combo of blueberry, strawberry, bananas, and everything in between) into the bag but some got on the sides. There's a lot of head space since I only had about under 3 gallons of must. I know that its not good to have stuff floating while fermenting so I keep mixing it back in, but how or should I deal with the must that got on the side of the bag?

Thanks in advance

No worry. Keep it moist as well. When you get @ 1.020 you can remove the pulp and try to scoop out any other pulp.

Any remaining can be grabbed when racking. Just pour thru a seive or stocking. Any small amount beyond that can be removed when racking later but try to get all out at 1st racking.

I would like to age my wine in my space under my house. It is not a basement but a "crawl space" large enough to walk in. Very dry but not air conditioned. I know it stays cooler than the outside air but I never checked the temp in the summer, which I will do this year.

What is the highest temperature can you age wine in safely.

Thanks

Edit :I may have found one solution, it is a keg temp monitor or something like that which will make a freezer maintain a temp of 40 to 70 degrees. That will work for me for one carboy at a time.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I am new to this forum and to wine making in general.

So far no big surprises, but this batch wouldn't start primary fermentation at all.
I have a 21L batch of Carignan Grape Juice. It comes with yeast already in.
For the first time I to used 54L demijohn bottle. Two days later no sign of fermentation (no gas evolution). I added dry wine yeast purchased in the store...nothing is happening. My only guess is that something is killing yeast culture...then the 54L bottle was sanitized (I used potassium metabisulfite) it might not be sufficiently rinsed afterwards (although I did rinse it three of four times). In addition, I used tap water for rinses, come to think about it in spring they increase amount of chlorine (or whatever they put in) in the water.
Any suggestions on how to get fermentation started are much appreciated.
Pavel

P.S. Please ignore, it actually started....took two days longer, compare to usual time

Last edited:
I am new to this forum and to wine making in general.

So far no big surprises, but this batch wouldn't start primary fermentation at all.
I have a 21L batch of Carignan Grape Juice. It comes with yeast already in.
For the first time I to used 54L demijohn bottle. Two days later no sign of fermentation (no gas evolution). I added dry wine yeast purchased in the store...nothing is happening. My only guess is that something is killing yeast culture...then the 54L bottle was sanitized (I used potassium metabisulfite) it might not be sufficiently rinsed afterwards (although I did rinse it three of four times). In addition, I used tap water for rinses, come to think about it in spring they increase amount of chlorine (or whatever they put in) in the water.
Any suggestions on how to get fermentation started are much appreciated.

Pavel

If it came with yeast IN it, take a hydrometer reading - it might be that theres just no sugar..? The airlock bubbling isnt a very good indicator on the health of your fermentation, and a hydrometer would really help.

If there is sugar, give it a good stir and take the airlock off. The first parts of fermentation actually need oxygen. Without knowing more, i cant help much more.. But it sounds like the juice you're using was intended to end up as wine..? So probably wouldnt have sorbate/benzoate in it if thats the case..

Might consider starting a new thread if you need more help, as more people will see it then.

If it came with yeast IN it, take a hydrometer reading - it might be that theres just no sugar..? The airlock bubbling isnt a very good indicator on the health of your fermentation, and a hydrometer would really help.

If there is sugar, give it a good stir and take the airlock off. The first parts of fermentation actually need oxygen. Without knowing more, i cant help much more.. But it sounds like the juice you're using was intended to end up as wine..? So probably wouldnt have sorbate/benzoate in it if thats the case..

Might consider starting a new thread if you need more help, as more people will see it then.

Thank you. Actually the fermentation finally started, albeit with a day or so delay. The juice was intended for wine with no preservatives and with east. You are absolutely right, airlock bubbling is not a good indicator of fermentation at early stages...it does take a good swirl to see foaming.

Pavel

Currently making a kit of Barolo from Mosti Mondiale. We did Phase 2 tonight. SG< .996 and racked it into fermentation pail, degassed it w/spoon, added metabisulfite, stirred, added siligel, stirred, added liquigel, stirred. Siphoned back into carboy, degassed a bit more and finished it off with a couple of vacuvin pumps. We added our marbles to top it off and vacu-vinned a couple more times and noticed additional CO2 bubbles coming up. Just wondering if we can further degas it in the next 2 days with a drill + attachment. (didn't have it today) Can we still degas after adding the siligel and liquigel? Next directions say to let it sit for an additional 7-10 days to clarify. Thanks

You're OK to do more degassing, but it won't really start clearing until you quit disturbing it. That's not a bad thing, just keep in mind that when you degas you're stirring things up again. The good news is that a thorough degassing will help it clear quicker.

Back