Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do u guys keep fruit flys away??. If their called that. Having a problem with that lately

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Put a small amount of wine in a glass near fruit flies. Now add 1 drop of dish detergent via your finger or bottle of soap. DO NOT MOVE THE GLASS. Flies will drown.

Important not to move glass

Plus to what Djrockinsteve said, get a fan and let it blow on your carboys

Put a small amount of wine in a glass near fruit flies. Now add 1 drop of dish detergent via your finger or bottle of soap. DO NOT MOVE THE GLASS. Flies will drown.

Important not to move glass

Steve, why do you disrecommend moving the glass? I use essentially the same method, but I move the glass around all the time! I must have about 40 corpses in there right now....

home wine making

hello there
am useing bread yeast and grape juice for home wine making
there is mold on surface!!
is it normal and what should i do ?
20141005_183813.jpg

Hi

can you give more info, like when you added yeast and any other steps you performed, like stirring air into the must to keep yeast healthy etc. Did you do it all in this container, or first in an open top container then transferred (racked) into this container? What type of juice is this? Fermentation can look weird, can't really tell what that stuff is all gunked up like that. Mine often looks like that, but spread over the surface of an open bucket. In the first part of fermentation yeast needs the air. Later when SG is very near 1.00 is when it should go into a container with a small opening and kept with limited air.

More info maybe we can answer better.

Pam in cinti

thank you for replaying me
yes i made it in this container , its 100% juice ..first i put the sugar then the bread yeast and shake it well
i don't have an air lock so so i kept the lid little open
that's all

thank you for replaying me
yes i made it in this container , its 100% juice ..first i put the sugar then the bread yeast and shake it well
i don't have an air lock so so i kept the lid little open
that's all

The stuff at the top doesn't look like mold to me. Maybe just foam from the yeast working with the sugar. I get that every time I make Dragon Blood.

Will

Hello all! New wine maker here. Ive done a lot of reading and forum researching and just decided to just do it.

Recipe:
1 Lug of Cabernet Sauvingnon
VH R-56
Must volume is 3.5 gal
Expected Volume is 2.5 gal

Crushed 10-3 added camden tabs

10-4 SG was 1.13 TA was 0.35% (took average of 2 titrations) T was 68F
Added 7 tsp of Tartaric acid to help raise TA

Punch down cap twice a day

Added 1.5 tsp of fermax on day 3

Day 5 SG is 1.052 TA 0.50% and T is 71F

I am traveling all ned week starting monday afternoon. Can I let sit without punching down cap for 4 days or should I rack on Sunday? I don't think SG will be low enough by sunday.

Any tips on next steps would be appreciated. What i should add and expect at first racking etc.

Thank you.

I'm beginner, just wanted to hear any feedback from the veterans out there about my first wine, I chose Apple concentrate, put 16oz in my half gallon glass cardboy, added water to fill a little over half, added a cup of sugar then put my wine yeast in some warm water then after sitting for a little I added it in, now my fermentation lock is on it and she's a fermenting. Today (18hoursin) I noticed a steady amount of bubbles and it smells faintly of alcohol, what do talk think??

Could someone provide a practical way to press a small amount of must. I do not have any type of press. Thank you.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Is an adjustment to ph needed?

I moved this post into the making wine with grapes forum

Last edited:
Could someone provide a practical way to press a small amount of must. I do not have any type of press. Thank you.

James
For 2-4 gallons of juice/fruit pulp, I use 3 food-grade 5-gallon buckets that stack together (all sanitized inside and out, of course): 2 normal and 1 with a bunch of 3/8" or so holes drilled in the bottom. You put the hole-y bucket inside one of the other two (the bottom one will be your 'receiving' bucket), then add the must you want to press into the hole-y bucket. You use the bottom of the 3rd bucket to press the juice through the holes in the middle bucket. Crude but mostly effective - it won't squeeze as much juice as out of the fruit as a basket press would, but this set-up is a whole lot cheaper. I don't use it very often though - it's still a lot of work cleaning, pressing, and cleaning again.

Dalal, what kind of juice is this? Doesn't really matter, but I am curious. It is important tho that the ingredients did not list any sorbate type chemical. If any fermentation did happen, there was probably no sorbate used as a preservative. Honestly I think the only way to be sure about your wine is to try a tiny taste. If it tastes good but has some sweetness then it is not done fermenting. If it tastes harsh and sour, then it is probably done. If done, I'd scrape the stuff out of the bottle and let it age a bit longer to try to mellow it some before drinking it. Some fruit wines become smoother and drinkable sooner than others.

I wish we could help more but we just don't have enough info to give better answers. We don't even know how long it's been since you added the yeast to the juice. If 1-2 weeks, all is prob fine. If 1-2 months, could be problems.

Pam in cinti

I started a batch of Jack Keller's Chocolate Strawberry wine and it is now time for my first 2 month racking. He doesn't mention treating with potassium metabisulfite at rackings but what would others recommend? Since this wine is supposed to take a full year to clear, I want to make sure it is "protected" during the process.

im new to making wine i used grap juice to make my wine its been bubling over 60 bubling its been 15 days like this now it slowed down to about 3 bubles a min is this ok and how can i check the ac level now

Latest posts

Back