Cellar Craft GET ER DONE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Well, I have had two wine kits that I received for Christmas. An Orchard Breezin Blackberry Merlot and a Cellar Craft Porto Corinto. I have been intending to grt these statrted and at 2am this morning I decided it was time to "Get Er Done". I also decided to blend these 2 kits and hopefully it will turn out as good as I anticipate.
I blended the juice of both kits, added the bentonite from both kits, The oak powder from the Port kit, half the F-Pack from the Blackberry Merlot kit and at a beginningSG of 1.142 I pitched 2 packs of Lalvin EC118 which I had rehydrated in some warm water and orange juice mix. Them yeasties was already slobbering on that orange juice when I pitched it to my must so hang on and lets see what happens with this one. I kinda figure that ole lalvin is gonna give it up around 1.010 which shold give an ABV of around 17.5% which I think may be OK for this Port.

IMG_5041.jpg

The yeasties are already working just 3 hrs after I pitched them
IMG_5040.jpg

17.5% !
smiley20.gif
Are you planning to back-sweeten it once it's done Waldo?

He still has 1/2 the f=pac so Im assuming thats whats going in there but Waldo has been known to surprise us like mixing up these 2 kits to begin with. Who'd a thunk it! Does sound good though but Id leave a little of that Port kit alone to see what that tastes like by itself.

As wade said, I still have almost half the f-pack from the Blackberry/Merlot kit as well as the f-pack from the Port kit I will be adding later. I may add the f-pack from the Port kit when I transfer to glass too.
Too late to try a little of the Port kit alone wade as they are both blended together.

Sure does look like it will taste good!
smiley17.gif
I've never known a Lalvin yeast to actively start bubbling after 3 hours. The wines I pitch with Lalvin yeast don't start until the second/third day although I've never used the EC118. Keep us updated with pics. Would love to see how they get along.

No I didn't - I just sprinkled the yeast on top, waited 30 minutes then stirred. I used the KV-1111 version, or I think that's what it's called.

Fermentation is going nicely on this one. I gave it a good stirring this evening, snapped the lid down tight and put an airlock on it.....ahhhhh
patience shall prevail now !!!

IMG_5043.jpg

Waldo, Is that a standard 6 gal batch, made with the juice of 2 kits? If so, saved some water I guess or do you plan on watering it down later?

wade said:
Looks like a nice brownie mix!

That Brownie Mix look was the powdered oak that had formed a cap . I stirred in up goodbefore sealing the lid down onit

ASAI said:
Waldo, Is that a standard 6 gal batch, made with the juice of 2 kits? If so, saved some water I guess or do you plan on watering it down later?

You are correct ASAI. It is a 6 gallon batch and both kits combined was a little over 4.7 gallon so I added a little over a gallon of water to bring it to about 6.25 gallon

u01dtj6 said:
Sure does look like it will taste good!
smiley17.gif
I've never known a Lalvin yeast to actively start bubbling after 3 hours. The wines I pitch with Lalvin yeast don't start until the second/third day although I've never used the EC118. Keep us updated with pics. Would love to see how they get along.
The EC1118 is great. I use it all the time. Normally bubbling within a couple hours.

But isn't EC1118 a champagne yeast? I've always been a bit nervous in making my own champers in case of family rejection
smiley36.gif

EC1118 is an all purpose yeast that is included in most kit wines. The best thing about that strain is its reputation for clean, quick ferments and being very hardy. It's used for stuck fermentations as well.
I always rehydrate the yeast before pitching just to make sure they are healthy. And with my meads I always make a starter, which will really get the yeast going fast, most of the time in a couple of hours.

Now at day 9 on this batch and she is steadily chugging along. Fermentation has slowed considerably but them yeasties are not ready to give it up yet.

Just finished racking my Port at an SG of 1.040. I think it is just about done. I will check the SG again in about 3-4 days and see if myassumption is correct. If it is, it has finished at just above 13%ABV and will require a little boosting with everclear.

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

Latest posts

Back