Garlic scapes - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three days ago I started cutting garlic scapes. Usually I ferment them or eat them raw or cooked. Wonderful garlic flavor but not as strong as the bulb. Gee, what else can I do?

Yesterday I added the yeast. Today the sweet garlic-y flavor is really good. I like it! Could this be a "garlic" sipping wine? We'll see where this goes. Just a warm up for the actual garlic wine later in the year.

20220605_105958.jpg

Wow, this has been an interesting experiment.
I accidentally started at SG 1.095. It was a fast ferment and this morning it was 1.010 so I decided to transfer to secondary.

And now the accolades of surprisingly good flavor....

No. It's one of the most vile, disgusting, horrible things I've ever tasted. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to taste it.

But this is wine making and we need to be patient. We'll see where this goes..... 😂😂😂

Wow, this has been an interesting experiment.
I accidentally started at SG 1.095. It was a fast ferment and this morning it was 1.010 so I decided to transfer to secondary.

And now the accolades of surprisingly good flavor....

No. It's one of the most vile, disgusting, horrible things I've ever tasted. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to taste it.

But this is wine making and we need to be patient. We'll see where this goes..... 😂😂😂
Like coconut water wine…….

I think I established my bottom limit.
In the future I can always say, "At least it's not as bad as my garlic scape wine!"
Don't give completely up; if you have room, finish it out and see what you get. I thought I was wasting time and space with a gallon of pawpaw. It had a metallic aftertaste. After two years in the bottle that has smoothed out. A few other experiments may or may not improve over time. It is all part of the fun!

Don't give completely up; if you have room, finish it out and see what you get. I thought I was wasting time and space with a gallon of pawpaw. It had a metallic aftertaste. After two years in the bottle that has smoothed out. A few other experiments may or may not improve over time. It is all part of the fun!
Oh, I will definitely let this finish. I'm really curious - it may become something "usable"....or even more nauseating. o_O

Oh, I will definitely let this finish. I'm really curious - it may become something "usable"....or even more nauseating. o_O
Recipes for garlic wine state it's for cooking, not drinking. Scapes may be in that same arena. I'd bottle in splits, as you are unlikely to use much at a time.

Recipes for garlic wine state it's for cooking, not drinking. Scapes may be in that same arena. I'd bottle in splits, as you are unlikely to use much at a time.
I was curious.
The flavor profile of the scapes is garlicky but not like garlic. I had no idea what to expect. I fermented in the house and it didn't stink! And it didn't smell "bad" before I tasted it, either.

Racked the garlic scape wine this morning. It was a little overdue but I kept putting it off because I was afraid...

As a reminder, when I transferred to secondary I described it as "the most vile, horrible, disgusting thing I ever tasted."

Well....
It could be the posterchild for letting a wine age. The transformation is incredible!!! Slight garlic smell and taste. I actually like it! If it continues to evolve I may just back sweeten and keep it as a sipping wine. I. Am. Shocked.

garlic scape.jpg

I just learned what garlic scrapes are and why you want to cut them off. Catching up here... How and When To Cut Your Garlic Scapes

I guess I have a new wine recipe to try!
Going into secondary I knew I didn't even want to cook with it. Horrible! I'm glad I didn't dump it. Great learning experience because it taught me to never ever dump a young wine. You just don't know where it's going.

BigDaveK, Sorry but while I love garlic, I can't see me making a wine from scapes BUT one thing you can make is a scape pesto. My basic recipe for basil pesto is to simply substitute the basil with the scapes (as long as they are fresh and soft)
3 C scapes
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 C of lightly toasted walnuts
1/3 C of Parmesan cheese
1t salt
1/4 C olive oil.

I chop the garlic, the nuts, the cheese and salt in a food processor until finely chopped
I add the scapes and as they begin to chop I pour in the oil.

Enjoy.

Racked the garlic scape wine this morning. It was a little overdue but I kept putting it off because I was afraid...

As a reminder, when I transferred to secondary I described it as "the most vile, horrible, disgusting thing I ever tasted."

Well....
It could be the posterchild for letting a wine age. The transformation is incredible!!! Slight garlic smell and taste. I actually like it! If it continues to evolve I may just back sweeten and keep it as a sipping wine. I. Am. Shocked.

View attachment 91309
I'm surprised it improved that much in such a short time. Usually improvement is the ultimate test of patience. If you want to play with blending, try a little with a very neutral white grape wine.

Back