Gallon jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the sugar today. Recipe called for 2.5 lbs, so I started with 1.5 and took my first reading; 1.122! Must have been some extremely sweet fruit to start with. I'll check it again tomorrow; but if this is still the reading, do I need to make any adjustments or just plan on enjoying some very potent wine when it's done?

Did you dissolve it 1st or just add it?

Best way is to remove some juice from the bucket, heat it, add sugar, whisk till dissolveed, add back.

Pulled off about 1/2 the juice, added sugar, stired until dissolved, and then added the balance of the juice. Stired again and waited about 10 minutes, then took the SG reading.

thought so. next time heat it up so the sugar dets dissolved.

The reading you got was false because the sugar was not fully dissolved.

Checked again today, the reading was 1.102 - must lower than I originally thought, but still high. I went ahead and and added the nutrient and then pitched the yeast. 6 hours later, I have a nice foam forming, so fermentation looks to have started.

I found an interesting source for 1 gallon jugs over the weekend. Having lunch at our local Rock Bottom, and found they sell 1 gallon growlers for $13. Great beer with the bonus of the jug to use for wines.

I buy one gallon jugs of wine at the local wine and Spirit shop to use for top ups. Not the best tasting stuff, but ok and cheap. Cost is $9.99 each. and they come in several varieties.
Most are green glass, but I am using them for smaller batches.

Last edited:
If you need 1 gallon jugs or wine bottles go to HyVee you can buy them back for their 5cent deposit.

I just got the number off of the local recycling hut today. I'm going to call to find out when they pick up & go talk to them to see how many gallon or half gallon jugs they get. Also, I agree with the above statement about the growlers & beer. I also have a local brew pub that sells em full of good microbrewed beer for 10-15 bucks.

Brian

Great idea on the grocery store and buying them back. I'm contacting a local Mexican restaurant for Corona bottles, but didn't think of the grociers.

Latest posts

Back