Fungus wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds uhhh... Interesting, for sure. I bet it would be great for cooking. It's definitely a thing that you can buy. You can make wine out of basically anything if you give it a good effort. I'm not sure what type of mushroom you would use or how much fermentable sugar any mushrooms have. This fellow seems to have a recipe.

Sounds uhhh... Interesting, for sure. I bet it would be great for cooking. It's definitely a thing that you can buy. You can make wine out of basically anything if you give it a good effort. I'm not sure what type of mushroom you would use or how much fermentable sugar any mushrooms have. This fellow seems to have a recipe.
Thanks KAndr97 , Oyster mushroom is easy and available. Recipe is different but fermentation is same as basic concept. Mushroom have many bioactive compound which is very nutritive. I will try to make as a project please if you have any experience or suggest please share.

Hiya Henry_Sailo and welome.
There's a Youtube site run by Happy Homestead that includes a video of wine making with mushrooms. Ron, the master of the site sauted his shrooms so his wine will have oil in it but this is a wine I want to make.

Hiya Henry_Sailo and welome.
There's a Youtube site run by Happy Homestead that includes a video of wine making with mushrooms. Ron, the master of the site sauted his shrooms so his wine will have oil in it but this is a wine I want to make.
You don't necessarily have to use any oil. The mushrooms will release a good amount of liquid which will deglaze the pan.

If you need to steep the shrooms in boiling water, then how do they "deglaze" anything? And if you are not steeping them in water to make a mushroom tea are you simply dry roasting them in a pan or the oven and then adding water? Trying to figure out the best way to extract flavor from the shrooms..

Well I've never made mushroom tea or wine, but I've sauteed plenty of mushrooms. When you cook mushrooms, they release some of their liquid into the pan, which will unstick whatever has stuck. That's what I mean by deglazing. No oil needed, just heat and time.

But the idea is to extract the flavor from the mushrooms, not necessarily the liquid, though extracting liquid may extract the oils and flavor molecules.That said, I am going to try to dry roast the shrooms to emphasize the flavors...

Nonono, I don't mean that sauteeing them will help extract the liquid. I mean that the mushrooms will naturally unstick themselves from the pan. My point is that you don't need any oil when you sautee them.

Thank you and welcome BernardSmith,i have experience in food science & nutrition. Wine with fungus is new in professional. First and second fermentation as well as in bottling I expect something we need to change or added ingredient as for primium. In Asia, like Japan, Vietnam etc they have made this kind of beverage out of fungus. I believe there is a way.

Well... You learn something new everyday. Forgive my improper terminology, but I think you guys get my point. You can cook the mushrooms in a pan without any fat.

I appreciate you. Its not required to add any oil only it need to make mild cook before fermentation to inactive of microbial active . In youtube he didn't mention any scientific evidence . You are right !

Check out the homebrewers almanac by Scratch brewery. They make beer with all kinds of stuff they forage. Mushrooms are in there as well. I plan on adapting some ideas to wine.

That would be an interesting experiment. I know most medicinal fungi have anti microbial, antifungal and antibiotic properties. I wonder how they would affect fermentation.

Chagga tea has some nice flavors, and alcohol draws out medicinal compounds that water cant.

Someone might use chagga tea as a base and add honey to make a chagga mead perhaps? Maybe with some herbs and spices.

Honestly though if I need medicine, I'll take medicine. If I need a drink, I'll have a drink lol.

Check out the homebrewers almanac by Scratch brewery. They make beer with all kinds of stuff they forage. Mushrooms are in there as well. I plan on adapting some ideas to wine.

By any chance do you have a copy of the Almanac? How do the authors suggest that the mushrooms be prepared and how many pounds of mushrooms do they suggest are used /gallon?

By any chance do you have a copy of the Almanac? How do the authors suggest that the mushrooms be prepared and how many pounds of mushrooms do they suggest are used /gallon?
LOL @ BernardSmith. I can hear the wheels turning from here. Good luck with it and keep us posted on it. Arne.

Latest posts

Back