Fulchino Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al, I think you said you got to -9. Notreally out of line for your area is it? How much damage do you think that will do?

i have a few varieties that will be susceptible to these temps partly because my vineyard is in the lowest spot in this little valley...predicted temps were to be -15 and that would have insured some toast.....the trouble is that i really wont know til spring...even if you prune a vine now to see if it is green inside, it is not a conclusive test...two and 3 yrs ago i was concerned that i had lost some things, and i cut them open and saw green so i smoked a cigar....then spring came...the buds never pushed....

This has really been an unusual year - much colder here in TN also, I won't be suprised if I have damage to my Cab Sauvignon, Not too worried about the Chardonnay and Cab Franc. About 5 years ago I lost every single Merlot I had tothe Alberta Clipper, every thing else made it, so I stay away from the Merlot now.

Al, I think that the vines are more resilent as they get a little age, so hopefully yours will come through better than they would have a few years ago. Have you ever looked any of the new Hybrids coming out of Germany at the Geisenheim (sp)Institute??

have not looked at the vines you mentioned...but i am looking at adding vines for my test vineyard....when spring comes hit me on the head to report in if any vines were lost from the winter....hopefully the ones that are four yrs old and going into yr five were developed enough to handle this winter

Will do!
20110126_093221_uglyhammer.gif

Al Fulchino said:
when spring comes hit me on the head to report in if any vines were lost from the winter....

for observational and contemplative purposes

[ame]http://vimeo.com/3519159[/ame]

i had the 30 minutes during lunch :) it is a good video indeed and gives a glimpse into the wine making, wine reviewing, wine distributing worlds

Al, spring has come and gone. Summer is more than half gone. Nobody smacked ya upside the head yet.

Pete

I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing the link.
Not surprising, though. I think the trend is toward fruitier, in your face wine. Honestly, I do enjoy a fruity wine, that's why I like red Zin, which tends to be high in ABV.

I pay little attention to points. Some of my favorite wines, well, come to think of it, I don't even know their points score; they likely are not expensive enough to have had a high points score, though.

Back