fso2 and/or mso2 for longer storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score
When making a kit, recommendations are for an extra 1/4 or 1/8 tspn of kmeta if you want to cellar for over 2 years. This from George and others. This of course is very general.
Since I started measuring the amount of FSO2 I have not found anything regarding what the level should actually be for over 2 years and what should I shoot for on the molecular level. Shorter term is the amount to get .8 mso2.
I have 6 gal of valpolicella with a PH of 3.09. All charts indicate 16ppm fso2 will give the correct mso2 level.
Double the mso2 would be at 32 ppm fso2, which is still acceptable from a detection point of view.

So...

What fso2 level or mso2 should I have for longer storage (5+ years)?

Can too high of a mso2 level create a detectable level of fso2 even if the fso2 reading itself acceptable?

Confused? Welcome to my world!

Thanks all.

You should shoot for the level based on the pH of the wine and use the Winemaker mag SO2 calculator as your guide. Once you stick a cork in it so to speak, your SO2 levels will be stable/steady for the lifetime of the wine.

So the recommendations for additional so2 are not necessary?
Are they there to make it as beginner proof as possible?

The only time you add additional Sulfite is when bulk aging a wine and using an airlock etc. SO2 levels will drop over time under those conditions.

You will never have a problem with a pH that low (3.09) If that is accurate I would worry about too much acid more than SO2 levels.

It is pretty tart but most are not that low.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back