Fruit bag effectiveness?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
Last year I made a strawberry that everyone loved. This yoer I decided to make a larger batch. I took 19 lbs of cleaned strawberries(2 flats)with 2 lbs of grapes and a few bananas. That much fruit wouldnt fit in any sack I own so I set it free in the fermenter. After 5 days of stir and ferment I strained the must thru the fruit sack to find my 4 + gallons of fruit has been reduced to less than 2 quarts of vegetable solids. This seems to me to be a greater volume conversion than I have gotten in the fruit sacks. All though I admit it is a bit messier I think I'll ferment "free" from now on. What do you think?

I use a steam juicer.
Like I said in another post you need to find the best method for you and that is the best method.

If you have been cramming the fruit bags then you probably werent getting good enzyme contact so maybe thats why. The pectic enzyme needs to get in there good to do its job.

I do alot of fruit wine. Just ask Wade. The trick is use 2 buckets and put the fruit in straining bags. Strawberry has alot of water so you need 8+#'s per gallon

Dont forget the Pectic Enzyme!

Latest posts

Back