Tropical Fruit ferment time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batch of Passion Fruit Mango is going in bottles today. Just backsweetened from SG 0.988 to about 0.994. I‘m not sure it’s quite enough so I’m gonna quit right there. I prefer it dry as opposed to just a little sweet.
waiting for my sorbate and corks to arrive today so I can get it finished. Pi

Looks good!
I normally do a barely sweetened wine but on my second gallon of cranberry as a test I made it almost sweet. The cranberry flavor really popped! So now I'm thinking maybe everything needs to be a 3 gallon batch, bottle half lightly sweetened and the other more sweet. It would be like 2 different wines from one batch.

Looks good!
I normally do a barely sweetened wine but on my second gallon of cranberry as a test I made it almost sweet. The cranberry flavor really popped! So now I'm thinking maybe everything needs to be a 3 gallon batch, bottle half lightly sweetened and the other more sweet. It would be like 2 different wines from one batch.
That’s what I’ve been doing with the two batches I made from leftover must. A little fresh fruit at ferment and Extra sweetening at finish.

Sweetness is a relative term when it comes to personal likes and dislikes. In terms of categorizing wine you can find a number of references. The thing that matters most is what YOU like. Back Sweetening brings back flavors for weaker wines or fruit with tender flavors. Having said that I find that most of my wines (All Fruit wines no grape wines) please me most when at an SG of 1.004 to 1.010 unless they High ABV wines with 13.5% ABV or more. Then sweetness calms the burn and makes your bottle go further.
My Mango / Pineapple wines always turn out to be PINEAPPLE/mango wines (Caps intentional for emphasis) but they are great summertime wines, far better than a wine cooler.

Latest posts

Back