Frozen Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
How long will frozen peaches last?

I can get a bushel of peaches from Eckerts Orchard for $10. Was looking at getting 2 bushels for $20, slicing them, adding some absorbic acid and freezing them until next spring.

you can freeze fruit for a year and longer if they are sealed good.

Yes a year and if you can vaccume seal them if u can. I use the good freezer bags after I destem/pit the fruit and seal them good and tight.

Make a record somewhere as to the weight for future reference. Before thawing I make up some juice to put the fruit into and allow the fruit to thaw in the liquid. This way it all stays cold longer. You may want to add some ascorbic acid to prevent browning.

Once thawed I'll add pectic enzyme.

You will get a lot of pulp out of this so plan on making extra to make up the needed space. Strawberry goes great with peaches.

No vacuum sealer. But I will add absorbic acid to the fruit before freezing them. I do the best i can to squeeze out as much air as i can.

I am planning on thawing them out in april - so about 8-9 months.

I added the ascorbic acid when I went to ferment them. If you freeze them in a juice you could add it then. I worked quick and froze them within minutes of cutting them.

Remember the bags will swell with the onset of freezing, leave a lil room for the bag to give.

I didn't vac seal but I did squeeze all the air out as best as I could.

I think I may have burned up the vac seal pump degassing wine. Don't tell my wife.

Definitely add absorbic acid, vacuum pack or suck as much air as possible out of the zip locks (using a straw works almost as good as a low end vacuum sealer). Put the bags of peaches in the fridge before freezing. Getting the peaches cold in the fridge before transferring to the freezer will make for a very quick freeze...the key to reducing ice crystals and freezer burn.

Latest posts

Back