Frost/freeze hits Missouri vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just on local St. Loius news:

http://fox2now.com/?s=sugar+creek

Have not had a chance to look at mine yet. I'am on a hill top, think I am safe.......

Edit: this was the early story before the frost, I'll post the after when they put it up on their site.
See post #6

Last edited:
A few of my elders look sick, everything else is fine. Hopefully this is the last of it for the year.

my cherry trees have been taking some serious hits but they still look pretty good, flowers are still looking good. If I can get thru the next few weeks.

In TN trees look good grapes not so good. I am trying to refrain and use nice words.

Here in Iowa mine got hit pretty hard, the buds just dried up over night from the frost. Its to early to tell how much crop damage we might have.

The frost hit my little vineyard REAL Hard. Have 16 vines on a pretty steep hill, at 1520 ft. elev. There were 100's of grape clusters, very early set, from the warm winter/spring. Now they are all brown & 90% of the leaves are brown also. I cried in my wine. Roy

We had 24 degrees for two nights. Everything got hit hard ,the grapes that had buds swelling the buds are drying up. The plums ,apples and cherries were blooming I can figure nothing from them . I was able to cover my blueberries. Looks like a slow wine year.

UPDATE, I went out early this AM & my vines have new 3-4 " shoots since the frost. Some of these have tiny fruit clusters on them, guess this is a "second set" I've heard about, only time will tell how many new clusters will form or if they will survive then next hit. Roy

UPDATE, I went out early this AM & my vines have new 3-4 " shoots since the frost.
Some of these have tiny fruit clusters on them, guess this is a "second set" I've heard about, only time will tell how many new clusters will form or if they will survive then next hit. Roy

Hopefully there is no "next hit":gb

UPDATE, I went out early this AM & my vines have new 3-4 " shoots since the frost. Some of these have tiny fruit clusters on them, guess this is a "second set" I've heard about, only time will tell how many new clusters will form or if they will survive then next hit. Roy

congrats and good luck thru the next few weeks. I check out the next 10 day forcast and I am not seeing any frost so let's me hopeful that this is done. :db

Have you heard back from Ed from St. Francois Winery/Vineyards?

Yeah they got hit hard too. There are already signs of new growth - he is not sure of the outcome yet whether the whites will produce fruit on the secondary growth.

The reds do pretty good on a secondary growth.

Back