Other Fresh juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlover

Junior
Reaction score
smiley4.gif
Just picked up a 6 gallon bucket of fresh juice chianti. A nursury in my area gets them from cali the company is called cry baby. I have never used fresh juice before do i need to do anything different? and must i stabilized and preserve with sulfite if i plan on consuming within a year? The directions say to stabilized and preserve prior to bottling

If you will be sweetening it is a must to stabilize with K-meta and sorbate, If not back sweetening I would still at least add the k-meta, sorbating is still a good idea but can be omitted if it is absolutely bone dry(say 0.990)! I will always add the sorbate just to be sure.

Wade,when would i add the sorbate and k meta and how much? I have 6 gallons of juice. Thanks your help is greatly appreciated

I would sorbate and add k-meta after verifying that the SG was stable by checking it a few days in a row.I would then give it a week before bottling and check SG once more to be sure. 1/4 tsp of k-meta per 6 gallons for aging and as for sorbate, check your instructions when buying it as George's site says 1/2 tsp per gallon which would be 3 tsps. for your batch and the sorbate that I have from Crosby and Baker says 1/4 tsp. per gallon which would be 1 1/2 tsps for your batch. Dont know if there are different strengths but Ive never had a problem and I do a lot of back sweetening since I always back sweeten my fruit wines.

I think the important thing is to follow the directions that they provided you. If it doesn't turn out well and you have followed their directions, they are more likely to help you out. Is it pure juice, or has anything been added. Did they provide you with any nubers for the juice-like brix, pH, and TA?

Sounds like this really IS fresh juice, and needs to be fermented...not just "stablilized and add sulfite...."

Unless I'm missing something?
smiley24.gif

Back