Fresh Juice first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
I am trying a 5 gallon bucket of juice from Papagni Fruit Co. Its a Cabernet Sauvignon. I picked it up and it was cold, took it home and left it out. Next morning Sg was 1.090 then I added the yeast. Primary was in the bucket it came with and I didn't use the air lock. after 1 day I checked the SG and it was 1.060, one more day check it again and it was 1.015. I thought it was moving very fast. On the 5th day in the primary I check SG and it was 1.000, so I siphon to the secondary (carboy). Checked SG again today and it was .998. My question is it going to fast and when should I rack and add the yeast killer?

Tarpon, that did move very rapidly but that can happen and there is nothing wrong with it. What is the temperature in your fermenting area? You got it into the secondary and under airlock just in time. Don't be concerned about stopping the yeast from working. It will stop by itself very shortly, i.e. at SG 0.992 or so. You are doing fine.

Welcome to the world of fresh juice. You have nothing to worry about I have made many red wines from fresh juice before and they always seem to ferment faster than whites. For fresh juice you always want to check to make sure that the wine stays dry for three days before adding any "yeast killer." The regiment I follow is to leave the juice in the fermentation bucket for 4-5 days until the SG reads 1.020-1.010 then transfer to a carboy where I leave a little extra room for the fermentation to continue (about 4 inches from the top of the glass). To be safe I let the fermentation continue for an additional 10 days in the carboy and check to make sure it is dry for three days starting day 7. If everything goes according to plan I rack the wine off the gross lees, top off the carboy and add the stabilizers. Rack and add extra sulfite every 3-4 months and enjoy when you are satisfied with the finished result (I usually bottle after 6 months to a year).

I am in Florida and we keep the ac on 77.

Thanks for your help, i feel better now.

Rack it now. Below about 1.020 there is. Chance Of oxidation. No additions necessary. Let it go fully dry and after a week or two in the carboy you can add additional sulfite. No need to kill any yeast, let them die of natural causes once all the sugar is depleted other wise

Latest posts

Back